Understanding the Changes in LP9

H.W.

upgraded from LP7 not long ago and I am still trying to understand the changes that were made in the arrange window- I understand that if you have a large monitor these things probably wouldn't be much of an issue

the changes that I find puzzling (and cumbersome) are: 1) the inspector - especially that we can not deselect the output strip from showing, 2) the inability to greater minimize the horizontal length of the track header (like we could in LP7), 3) the audio bin/media area inadvertently opening too easily, and 4) no longer being able to make the piano roll editor, for example, open as a floating window by double click in the arrange-

I'm curious if others feel the same way-

right and why is this a "better" design?

Prior to Logic 8, everybody and their sister were complaining that Logic 7 was way behind in terms of GUI with its multiple window interface. Everybody was happily citing Ableton Live as a model of what a simple GUI should be like.

With Logic 8, Apple resolved that problem and gave us an Ableton Live-like one window interface. It would have been quite ridiculous if as soon as you double-clicked a region, Logic 8 had opened another window, since there was no longer any need for that extra window (since it can open the content of the region in one of the areas below the Arrange area). So that became the default behavior.

With Logic 8, Apple resolved that problem and gave us an Ableton Live-like one window interface..

thanks but where was the "problem"? - what big advantage is there in seeing the rest of the arrange window when you are working on one track- again I'm just curious how this helps workflow etc.

A vast majority of people prefer to deal with everything they need in a single window rather than juggling 5 or 6 windows. Seems to be the trend in pretty much all software nowadays. Since Logic 8, you can do that. Personally I also find it much easier: for example to quickly select another region in the Arrange in order to update the contents of a MIDI editor.