Caps Lock Keyboard doesn't appear

chillywilly

I've had Logic Studio 9 for about 24 hours. I have the 670 page "Logic Pro Power 9" manual, and I can't believe I'm already posting a question in a forum!

Following the basic introductory tour in the "Exploring Logic Pro" manual, I tried pressing "Caps Lock" on my MacBook Pro to bring up the Caps Lock Keyboard. Nothing happens. I checked the Preferences, and "Enable Caps Lock Keys" is checked. I even tried unchecking it and rechecking it. I also tried relaunching Logic.

How do I get the Caps Lock Keyboard to appear?

Couple of things to check:

Open the envirnonment (Command+8...or from the Window menu) and go to the click and ports layer to see if the Caps Lock keyboard appears in the physical input object (I've never seen it missing from there, but who knows).

Verify that the key actually works (I'd be surprised if its broken). If it does work, quit Logic and move this file to the desktop:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist

Open Logic again and try to bring up the CapsLock keyboard.

j.

You were right to ask me to check whether the Caps Lock key is working. Get this... The Caps Lock key does not light up whether I'm booting in 10.5.8 or in 10.6.6. However... if I hit Command+Option+CapsLock+3 (or 4) to take a screenshot... it works in both OSs! That tells me that the Caps Lock key itself is not broken, but that somehow the OS has disabled the Caps Lock functionality.

I've checked the System Preferences "Keyboard & Mouse" area to see if the Modifier key settings were not as expected. They are set correctly.

I've checked some Apple forums, and it seems that a lot of people are having this problem, and nobody has presented a solution! Apple seems to have broken the Caps Lock functionality sometime in the OS development. Maybe on purpose...?

If anyone can help me turn it back on, please let me know! I can't launch the Caps Lock Keyboard because of this.

if I hit Command+Option+CapsLock+3 (or 4) to take a screenshot... it works in both OSs! That tells me that the Caps Lock key itself is not broken, but that somehow the OS has disabled the Caps Lock functionality.

I think someone has switched your keys around. I don't think I have ever done a screen capture to take a screen shot :roll: (maybe once or twice), but those are not the keys used to screen capture.

I think someone has switched your keys around. I don't think I have ever done a screen capture to take a screen shot :roll: (maybe once or twice), but those are not the keys used to screen capture.

Yup. A screenshot here is Shift+Command+3 and a selective screenshot is Shift+Command+4.

If anyone can help me turn it back on, please let me know! I can't launch the Caps Lock Keyboard because of this.

Did you try "trashing" the preference (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist) file as Jordito suggested?

@jordito - thanks, but I already checked that. Nope. Everything is set correctly.

@Scott Jacskon and shivermetimbers - I wrote up the wrong key commands for screen capture. Sorry about that! What I meant to write is: Command+SHIFT+CapsLock+3 (or 4). That works – proving that the CapsLock key itself is not broken. Also, it shows that the problem is not with Logic. I can't get the Caps Lock key to make capital letters.

Searching the Apple discussion forums, I found out that Apple made a change to Mac OS that requires a user to press a little longer than expected to get the Caps Lock functionality. This, however, does not explain why it doesn't work at all, unless the implementation of this change is not working correctly on all Mac laptops. Anyone else have a partially dead CapsLock key on a MacBook Pro? :?

@jordito - thanks, but I already checked that. Nope. Everything is set correctly.

@Scott Jacskon and shivermetimbers - I wrote up the wrong key commands for screen capture. Sorry about that! What I meant to write is: Command+SHIFT+CapsLock+3 (or 4). That works – proving that the CapsLock key itself is not broken. Also, it shows that the problem is not with Logic. I can't get the Caps Lock key to make capital letters.

Searching the Apple discussion forums, I found out that Apple made a change to Mac OS that requires a user to press a little longer than expected to get the Caps Lock functionality. This, however, does not explain why it doesn't work at all, unless the implementation of this change is not working correctly on all Mac laptops. Anyone else have a partially dead CapsLock key on a MacBook Pro? :?

Caps Lock is irrelevant to the screen capture command. If your Caps Lock key is responding only when you use that combination, there's got to be something wrong with it. :?

I wrote up the wrong key commands for screen capture. Sorry about that! What I meant to write is: Command+SHIFT+CapsLock+3 (or 4). That works – proving that the CapsLock key itself is not broken.

That doesn't prove anything about the Capslock key since it's not necessary for the rest of the command. Have you tried just Command+Shift+3 or 4 to see if it works without adding Capslock into the command?

It's always been CapsLock as far as I knew. You could be right, but in my Google searches I've seen confirmation of the CapsLock combination on more than one site. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. Apparently this is outdated, and it does appear that my CapsLock key is non-functional. And since there's no other way to bring up the Caps Lock Keyboard, I can't preview any instruments without connecting a physical keyboard to my computer. :(

It's always been CapsLock as far as I knew. You could be right, but in my Google searches I've seen confirmation of the CapsLock combination on more than one site. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. Apparently this is outdated, and it does appear that my CapsLock key is non-functional. And since there's no other way to bring up the Caps Lock Keyboard, I can't preview any instruments without connecting a physical keyboard to my computer. :(

Read those posts again. Caps Lock isn't required to take screen caps, except for some really specific options. Regardless, everything else you've said implies to me that your Caps Lock key is messed up anyway. I know there's a menu option in GarageBand to bring up the keyboard, but I don't think there's any such option in Logic.

Yes, I read all the posts. At one time in the past, Caps Lock was part of the screen capture combo. Judging from the way things work now, I believe this has changed at some point in OS X evolution. It's not the kind of thing Apple would tell you in it's documentation when you upgrade an OS.

Anyway, I have something useful to share. I found a workaround. Here it is...

Launch the Keyboard Viewer. To do this, open System Prefs, go to your International or Languages control panel, select the Input Sources tab, and make sure that the "Keyboard & Character Viewer" checkbox is checked. Find the icon on your menu bar (upper right corner) and select "Show Keyboard Viewer."

Now that you have the Keyboard Viewer open, launch Logic and open your project. On the keyboard viewer, click on the Caps Lock button. This is a fake method of pressing the Caps Lock key, and it works just like the real thing. It even brings up the Caps Lock Keyboard in Logic. Yeay.

(When I do this the little light on the Caps Lock key even turns on! Guess I must have a bad key. Weird.)