NS10 Monitors and HS10W Subwoofer in Logic

Hello Everyone

I have a bit of an unusual problem here. I have a set of Yamaha NS10 monitors hooked up to my studio amplifier and have the stereo out of my Edirol Audio interface connected directly into my amplifier....no problems there but I have just bought an HS10W subwoofer and I am not entirely sure how this should be connected. The input connections on the back of the sub allow for either XLR or 1/4 inch jack. So I have connected output 3 of my audio interface to the input of my sub.....both work individually on their own...but I cannot get both to work together as output 3 does not route through the stereo output. Is there any way of achieving this in Logic? I can set up a send and bus a channel to Output 3 which then works....but I would have to do this for each channel. I guess in short i would like my sub to work from the stereo output and im not sure the right way to achieve this. Is there a way of doing this?

Many thanks

Dion

I have a bit of an unusual problem here. I have a set of Yamaha NS10 monitors hooked up to my studio amplifier

I understand. You do.

Now, on to the subwoofer.

Normally you'd use some external bass management, but you can fake it in the box.

Route all tracks to a Bus.

Create one mono Aux and one stereo Aux and feed both from that Bus.

Route the mono Aux to Output 3 and the stereo Aux to the Stereo Out.

Feed the Stereo Out to the main speakers and Output 3 to the sub.

Put a Linear EQ in either Aux.

Set the LEQ in the Stereo Aux so that the Lows get filtered out.

Set the LEQ in the mono Aux so that all but the Lows gets filtered out.

Expect to tweak this setting for a week until what you hear on it translates well elsewhere, or at all.

Christian

Hmm not sure I have this right.

Now if I solo and instrument it doesnt come through the sub. I have all my drums routed to a submix....I have routed the submix to all the new all tracks bus I created....but nothing from the sub when soloing the kick for example. I also have a send from each single drum channel to a bus for parallel compression which is routed to all tracks now as well.

I have a bit of an unusual problem here. I have a set of Yamaha NS10 monitors hooked up to my studio amplifier and have the stereo out of my Edirol Audio interface connected directly into my amplifier....no problems there but I have just bought an HS10W subwoofer and I am not entirely sure how this should be connected. The input connections on the back of the sub allow for either XLR or 1/4 inch jack. So I have connected output 3 of my audio interface to the input of my sub.....both work individually on their own...but I cannot get both to work together

With most subwoofers the studio monitors connect to the subwoofer. Here's an example. This diagram is from Dynaudio Acoustics bm9s subwoofer.

subwoofer.png.8fdd4d57ba6ebc4e9909933f2f8a675a.png

Hi Scott, thanks for your input on this.

The problem is I have the older NS10 monitors which dont have any means of connecting to a sub directly as they have the trusty speaker cable which goes into my amp. I am just wondering whether I can feed my stereo output to the sub and then output from the sub to my amp....I dont know...i thought buying a sub would cure all my problems..haha.

The Sub is Active - and yes the speakers are passive.

OK. It looks like you may have to go to the store for cables. I attached a page from the subs manual. If you run the outs from your interface into the Input of the Sub the sub will power itself but the signal from the subs input flows also out the Subs outputs which are XLR. Ideally you would then connect the subs L/R out to the L/R inputs on your power amplifier. Then your monitors would be connected to the amp as usual.

yamaha_sub.thumb.png.7f1ecd23d99ab0609310acb1338812ab.png

• 4 months later...