Mainstage 2 crash

sticksman

Hi, my mainstage sometimes crash when I just press space bar to play song from playback plugin or I just click something like switching from edit mode to perform mode. What I meant crash is the cursor became a circle rainbow and I can't force quit the program and tat lead me to holding on to the power on switch and shut my Mac down and power on it again. There's once it hangs when opening mainstage. Could it be my interface? I m using nio 2/4 USB audio interface. I usually plug in my audio interface first before opening mainstage I use mainstage only for playing backing tracks during performance. I used to use logic 9 to as a playback device for backing tracks but Becoz it oso hang on me a few time for nothing. I thought mainstage was more stable but it oso does the thing to me:( I m using a aluminum MacBook tat does not have FireWire and 4 gb ram. I have patition 20 gb of my hard disk for windows using bootcamp. I have oso update the latest update for both logic and mainstage. Can someone help me with my problem. Coz I m really scare tat it will hang again before my set gonna start. Thks.

Hi, my mainstage sometimes crash when I just press space bar to play song from playback plugin or I just click something like switching from edit mode to perform mode. What I meant crash is the cursor became a circle rainbow and I can't force quit the program and tat lead me to holding on to the power on switch and shut my Mac down and power on it again

Sadly you didn't provide any information: what machine, what version of Mac OS X, what version of MainStage?

Hi, firstly I'm using MS 2.1.2 on OS 10.6.6 and do not usually have crashes unless I do a lot of editing of a project by adding and removing a bunch of VI's. The ram gets clogged up when you open and close sample libraries and you eventually need to restart.

While you're in edit mode MS autosaves every few minutes, and sometimes this takes longer than normal; esp. if you were in the middle of opening a new plugin right when it autosaves. You might just be jumping the gun and forcing it to quit before it can pull through. Definitely give it a chance next time and make sure to regularly repair your disk permissions with Disk Utility. Tons of Mac issues can be solved by doing that.

Other than that, it might be a 3rd party plugin acting up or you might be pushing your processor too hard with too many patches open at once.

In performance mode it doesn't autosave, so you shouldn't have an issue there. I've never seen it crash in performance mode.

If you're getting warnings when repairing permissions try to restart and do it again. If you still can't sucessfully repair permissions then there's definitely an issue. You might have a corrupted OS or bad blocks on your hard drive (or or reasosn). In that case, backup your files or create and image of you main HD on another drive (with Disk Utility) and then re-install the OS. If re-installing still doesn't help things then you might need a fresh install. I'd say go ahead and upgrade to 10.6 if you can as well.

Good luck!

these are the detail i got from repair disk

2011-02-12 15:17:21 +0800: Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:21 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:24 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:17:30 +0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/LeopardPanels.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

2011-02-12 15:18:54 +0800: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2011-02-12 15:19:03 +0800: Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2011-02-12 15:19:03 +0800: Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2011-02-12 15:19:09 +0800: ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Utilities".

2011-02-12 15:19:13 +0800:

2011-02-12 15:19:13 +0800: Permissions repair complete

sorry ,what i meant is the warning is under the show detail box..i still can complete the repair disk permission..is that ok?

I've never see a crash that was fixed by repairing disk permissions. That is a bit like Snake Oil...

I've had several crashes and issues that were fixed by disk permissions repairing. It's not the save-all solution, but it's often the culprit for system level processes.

sticksman, from what I just read that was an issue with OS 10.5. Apparently it's no biggie and as long as the repair is complete it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure what your issues are, but it might be 3rd party plugins or apps. Make sure your on the latest version of Leopard.

If there are still issues I guess maybe try to re-install the system and then update to the newest version through Software Update. If that doesn't help and you have issues with other apps like lockups, maybe your hard drive is going bad and has some bad blocks. I've had that happen.