How do you make your drum sounds individual?

Ok,

so one of the things I really think is key to a great producer is great drum sounds. My favorite producers all seem to have very individual drum sounds. Now, I spend alot of time on my drums, they come out sounding great but not that individual. I've tried lots of different things to make them sound different... I'm not really getting anywhere

here's an example those drums just sound a certain way, when you hear them you know, Khalil.... I'm hoping to do something like that so, my question is...

what do you do to make your drum samples sound more individual...

Thanks

Lorenzo

what can i do to get there

You can use EQ, compression, or any other form of processing. You can also layer multiple sounds - for example build your own kick drum from two samples, one that has a strong attack and one that has a sustain tail you like: you trim the sustain of the first one, maybe EQ out some of its low frequency, you EQ out some of the highs in the second sample, and you layer them.

It's endless, really, so just experiment until you get something you like.

Now, I spend alot of time on my drums, they come out sounding great but not that individual.

Sounds like you've already accomplished the foundational work.

You have an individual walk, individual hand gestures, manners of speech, dress, ....

You're being yourself, effortlessly. You aren't doing something external to yourself. It isn't a question of how do I do "it". You are being you. Self expression. You're not trying to prove to anyone that you are you.

If it is really making you smile, there's a very good chance that it is going put a smile on my face.

So what rhythms do you like? The sounds that are riding those rhythms... what do you like?

One of my teachers approached this like it is an adventure. I agree with him.

I'm with others on this. The way to find what really turns your crank is to experiment. I take a few notes so I can re-create the sounds I like.

Thanks for the discussion.