Ski's Film Score Class -- Thank You!

ski

Just a quick note to say thank you to all of you who attended this past weekend's Film Scoring in Logic Master Class with yours truly yammering on about timecode and stuff. It was a great group, and I'm grateful that people travelled so very far to attend. We had one student who travelled from Australia (!!!), two from British Columbia, including our long-time LPH member Camillo Jr., one from Las Vegas, and another from San Diego.

Part of my curriculum includes workshops where the students get to score various scenes, sometimes under pressure. And as with the previous classes I've taught, we have once again a situation where everyone's approach to the various scenes they scored was different, whether it was the tempo, the instrumentation, or the moods they sought to convey with respect to picture. I think it goes to show that even though there are now 10,000,000 composers out there (including myself) that there's a huge pool of originality for filmmakers to draw from.

So thank you again to all who attended and for traveling so far.

Cheers!

Ski

(Peter Schwartz)

Ski, thank you so much for teaching that class. I was impressed by the level of the class and even though I only came in time to listen to one of the student's work, I was really impressed by what that student did. Very, very musical result.

I'm hoping we'll have the opportunity to offer workshop again soon.

Just wanted to thank you again Peter! This was a great workshop and I learned tons of useful stuff that I can use right away in my projects.

I was wondering...when you receive multiple reels from the editors, does the time code remain sequential throughout the reels or do they reset the timecode for each reel? Also, do you request leader in each reel as well?

Thanks again.

Jeff Jordan

http://www.jeffjordanmusic.com

Just wanted to thank you again Peter! This was a great workshop and I learned tons of useful stuff that I can use right away in my projects.

I was wondering...when you receive multiple reels from the editors, does the time code remain sequential throughout the reels or do they reset the timecode for each reel? Also, do you request leader in each reel as well?

Thanks again.

Jeff Jordan

http://www.jeffjordanmusic.com

Glad to hear it Jeff!

In answer to your questions (in reverse order):

• I always request timecode in the leader. As you saw from the examples I showed in the class, I don't always get it, but if I get everything else I've asked for (QT movie with DV codec, and so on) then I count my blessings. And you'll probably remember how much easier it was to set the Movie Start Time when there was timecode in the leader. No guesswork!

• Sequential timecode between reels... usually not. The convention is that first picture on a reel will be set to the hour-number that reflects the reel-number. So if we're talking about a 3 reel film, the first reel will have first picture at 01:00:00:00. For the second reel you'll see 02:00:00:00 at first picture. And for reel #3, first picture starts at 03:00:00:00.

Timecode isn't used to indicate chronological running time of a film more than it is to identify each frame of a film with a unique number. The fact that timecode visually resembles a running clock is useful for sure, but the only frame rates that will show you true elapsed time are 24 fps and 25 fps. A timecode stripe in a color video production (29.97) will show you something close to true elapsed time if the timecode burn is done with drop-frame code. But if it's striped with non-drop code, you can't count on it to show you true elapsed time.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Ski

Really great class ski! The writing assignments were the highlight for me but listening to a real world film composer talk about being in the trenches was equally valuable, not to mention all the technical bits and bobs. I'll definitely be reviewing my notes over the next few days.

And now, back to Vancouver's wet winter. :)

Very nice to meet you Camillo! Wish you could have hung out here to enjoy the more mild-ish weather.

I savored a bit of that on Monday..... my plane didn't leave till the evening so I hiked around Griffin Park for a few hours and got my first sunburn of the year! And coincidentally ran into the other Canadian at the Observatory - what are the odds? But the 360 view at the top was worth the hike. How many times in my life will I get to be even keel with the Hollywood sign? :wink:

We thought about it.. but then no one was available to score the soundtrack. :lol:

What David's not telling you is that everyone in the class was indeed willing to score it, but when we told them that the entirety of the workshop would need to be put to music -- all 17 hours of it -- their enthusiasm waned a bit. Suddenly, everyone had a plane to catch or they had a cab waiting outside. And one guy, after appearing to into shock, proceeded to fade out of sight right in front of our eyes. I guess the enormity of the job was just a bit too much for him. Truth be told, I would have done exactly the same thing.

Certainly there would have been room for all kinds of moods to write score for, from the dramatic (during the lunch break when the classroom was empty) to the comedic (when I confirmed that the start time for Sunday was at 9 AM).

There's always a next time, though, so let's see what the future holds.

:mrgreen:

Would loved to have been able to attend Ski.... it's a bloody long way from here in Adelaide Australia, though... yep, the video would've been great. ;-) (the only more remote place on earth I think is Perth Western Australia... no offence to those located there).

Archived