When bouncing, same file ends up in project + trash?

johnnnnnnyy

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a strange one here, it just started doing it.

When I bounce or bounce in place, the recorded file goes to the correct place in the project folder BUT it's also putting a second copy directly into the trash bin of the Mac. The file in the trash is also double the size of the original?

What on earth have I done for it to do this?

....Also just noticed. I'm bouncing in 16 Bit, the bounced file goes to the project as 16 Bit. The duplicate file in the trash is 2,822,400 Bit rate?

Hi Chaps,

Sorry to keep bugging on this one, but really driving me crazy and can't seem to find an answer anywhere?

I looked back in time machine and noticed the duplicate files that Logic is putting in the Trash where called:

Audio-Bus64.aif

The others with some ref codes after

Audio-Bus64 00-18-30-572

Will this give a clue to what's happening? Is Audio bus 64 the last one in the chain.

Really can't understand why Logic is doing this.

I can't verify this right now because I'm not on my Logic system, but my best guess is that because when Logic bounces a song, it does so at a much higher bit depth (and actually creates a file at this much higher bit depth). Then it performs a conversion to the bit depth you actually asked for. So at one point this much larger file exists, and after it is converted it is ending up in your Trash bin.

On my machine, I've sometimes noticed that if I watch the destination folder when Logic is bouncing, I will see it create the large file, then the smaller one, then the larger one will disappear. I just haven't confirmed that it ends up in the Trash, but that would make sense.

2,822,400 = 64 bit (temp) file at 44,100 kHz (64 x 44,100 = 2,822,400)

(or 32 bit at 88,200...?)

Ah, no, it is a Stereo 32 bit 44,100 Hz temp file...

...and the behaviour is the same here... I think it is by design, it may be risky to let Logic automatically delete this file. You just have to empty the trash to get rid of it (and reclaim the space).

Edited by Eriksimon

• 6 years later...

Problem with Logic Pro X 10.1.1 (Within OSX Yosemite 10.10.5)

Audio files from projects are being placed in the trash automatically when I connect my EXTERNAL Seagate DRIVE.

All the audio files in question are supposed to be stored on my Seagate (external) drive - I have checked this in the 'Project Audio' window within logic. 

Why do these files get sent to the trash automatically?

N.B. When I EJECT the external drive (safely)  - the Trash folder becomes EMPTY again. THE FILES HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE TRASH BUT NOT DELETED!!!!!

What is causing this? Is it a setting within Logic? Or a global (Yosemite) setting that is doing this?

I have tried MOVING all the relevant files in Logic (Procect Files window) to a DEFINATE location on my Seagate backup drive again. 

All my audio files (for all projects) are stored on this 'ONE AND ONLY' drive - there are no other drives involved here - just the MacBook Pro drive and the above mentioned Seagate backuo drive.

THE FILES THAT GET MOVED AUTOMATICALLY TO THE TRASH ARE MAINLY ONES THAT HAVE BEEN BOUNCED AT SOME POINT - BUT (IN THIS CASE) ALL THE FILES WERE IN 96K (ORIGINALLY) AND THEN BOUNCED  IN 96K AS WELL.

DON'T KNOW IF THIS HELPS  - BUT MANY OF THE FILES I AM TALKING ABOUT WERE BOUNCED FROM STEREO TO MONO.

THUS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! - IS ITSAFE TO 'SECURE EMPTY TRASH'?  - OR WILL I LOSE THE FILES ALTOGETHER IF I DO THIS.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS

• 2 months later...
Just a thought I had, have you repaired your disk permissions recently?  Perhaps a permission is set wrong and Logic can't delete the file out of the Trash.  I'm going to guess this won't actually correct it, but it's worth a shot if you haven't done it in a while.

Thanks for your excellent advice! Problem solved! Audio files were getting put into the Trash automatically - and then disappeared from the Trash when I ejected the new backup drive - BUT THE FILES WERE NOT DELETED. Most of the trashed files had only 'Read' permissions. I changed the permissions for EVERY folder, sub-folder, and file on the drive to 'Read and Write'......voila!....total success. Phew!  :D