Korg 01W/fd Sequences

duketraveller

Why not just record your tunes from your korg O1/W onto a track in logic? i,ve been thinking of doing this myself but haven,t tried it yet. :wink:

I did exactly this when I bought my first Mac...Powerbook520 back in the day. Recorded the stream into Logic2 and then demixed etc etc etc. Had a huge rack and mix automation etc. (ofcourse I was slaving Logic to midi clock, so that everything was being captured as accurately as MIDI could do).

Can't imagine going through it now though.

I remember it clearly, as it was in a pub in Darwin Australia ... the Vic AFAIR. cover band playing top 40 stuff)

I suggest you go to a store of your choice (Best Buy, New Egg, Amazon, etc.) and get an external USB floppy disk drive and connect it to one of the USB ports on your Mac.

Then go to the Korg and save your sequences as SMF (standard midi file) type 1 (separate tracks) rather than SMF type 0 (zero) which is a combined format; by using type 1 they are already separated. Then put the floppy disk into the Mac drive and load/import (I don't remember exactly which it is called in Logic). Once the midi file is into logic, assign whatever internal Logic sounds you want to each midi channel and then edit to your taste.

HTH,

Tom

• 11 years later...

I know this is 11 years old but I've been wanting to do this same thing for about 11 years myself haha. I know some of the older o1ws can't seperate sequence tracks with a smf1 file, including my o1w, so i figured out a work around, which is playing each track solo'd out of a sequence and into a respective logic track with a midi-usb interface, and assigning corresponding instruments to the logic track. The whole process is tedious but finding sounds that mimic the o1w was the hardest part. Linked below is a tutorial on how to do it that I made, as well as a my service where I can transfer o1w sequences to Logic for you. Again, it's very tedious but not to hard once you get the hang of it. Hope this helps.