How to manually type in plugin changes via automation

PandaRiot

hey all, i wondering if there is a way to manually type in plugin changes via automation.

Basically the scenario is I am trying to do very subtle changes via the AU Pitch plugin. I want to write some automation where it changes only +3 or -5 cents. But for some reason i'm finding it next to impossible to get that precise.

I am probably missing something totally obvious, but i can't see what it might be.

-brian

MBP 2.4 C2D 4GB /10.6.3/ logic 9.1.3

Try holding control as you drag the nodes up / down on the automation lane of the track. You may not get the exact values that you want, but you should get close.

For cent precision you could try the Time & Pitch machine in the sample editor (destructive), or the Pitch Shifter II in Logic (real time, non destructive).

Thanks, I actually tried both suggestions before, going so far as to bounce a couple versions of audio region via time/pitch machine with varying degrees of cents changes reimporting them and packing them into take folder so I can pick and choose which cents change is happening.

I think the problem is more specific to the AU pitch plugin where as the parameters of pitch change go very very far.

Well it seems to me that by following David's advice you can get the AU Pitch "pitch" parameter to move by about 2.4 cents each "notch". It's not perfect, but you should be able to tune by +2.4 and +4.7 cents. Can you really hear a note that's 0.6 of a cent off?

Can you really hear a note that's 0.6 of a cent off?

I once had a lecturer who seemed to have amazing hearing, he could always tell when instruments were detuning even by the smallest of margins. Maybe not by 0.6 cents but still to a degree that was pretty much un-noticable to anyone else who wasn't made of electronics.

AU PItch Plugin has pitch parameters of +/_ 2400 cents, so it seems that the control option is going to work but in an unexpected way!

So by holding control i can get increments of +2.4, +7 etc.....the trick is then clicking on the automation line between those 2 points. This is automatically recording the small cents changes in between! Thanks David

@widdershins no, normally these slight changes in cents wouldn't be matter. But what I'm trying to do is blend the original audio track with another track that has cents changes it matters alot. Listen to what is does on a voice track and you'll hear it.

-Brian

If you're trying to double vocals by duplicating the audio region and changing the pitch of the copies, you'll never be happy with the results - unless you're going for that phasey, digital fake kinda sound, that is - but that usually doesn't work for a lead vocal.

The absolute best way to double a vocal, which you can hear all over the radio any day of the week, is to .. just record the performance twice. You may use a different mic both times, a different mic pre, a different A/D etc... but it's absolutely not necessary. What matters is that the performer tries to match the first performance as close as possible. You may still want to edit the performance to make sure all notes start/end at exactly the same time (always sounds odd when one of the voices in a double vocal drops while the other sustains).

Then you mix both voices together. A lot of times I find that mixing them completely different works best: one is the lead vocal, loud and clear, the other is 10 dB lower, more compressed, maybe distorted, different EQ and reverb, etc... I usually leave both centered too. But there's no rule, just experiment until you get the sound you like.

You will have a double vocal that sounds a hundred thousand dollar better than the fake-plug-in-detuning stuff.

thanks for the advice, we've been doing the multiple vocals takes thing for a while, and your right it sounds great. But @ the same time i guess i was trying to recreate the coolness of subtle pitch change that i could get with my old Tascam 4 track...it had varispeed control on playback and recording and it sounded awesome.

Archived