flextime crashes Logic

michael2

have been using flextime to do sound design, my usual method is I grab the right lower corner of an audio file while holding down the option key. if i just flex a little bit, everything is fine; but if i try stretching a track a lot (like twice as long as it is), Logic will start the flex process, then I get the beach ball, and ultimately Logic will crash.

is this just the way it is? i know that it's meant for little adjustments here and there and that I am not using it correctly; but you can make some cool sounds this way. has anyone else noticed this behavior?

to go out on a positive note, I will say that this is the only thing weird that has ever happened with Logic in my experience. thanks in advance.

have been using flextime to do sound design, my usual method is I grab the right lower corner of an audio file while holding down the option key. if i just flex a little bit, everything is fine; but if i try stretching a track a lot (like twice as long as it is), Logic will start the flex process, then I get the beach ball, and ultimately Logic will crash.

is this just the way it is?

No, it works fine here. Try to duplicate the issue in a brand new empty project (factory template)?

is this just the way it is?

No, it works fine here. Try to duplicate the issue in a brand new empty project (factory template)?

will do.

nope, still not working. i tried importing an mp3 that was 2 minutes long and stretching it to about twice that length: crashed. then I tried it with an aif that was also about 2 minutes long and tried stretching to double the length: that crashed also.

puzzling and frustrating.

nope, still not working. i tried importing an mp3 that was 2 minutes long and stretching it to about twice that length: crashed. then I tried it with an aif that was also about 2 minutes long and tried stretching to double the length: that crashed also.

puzzling and frustrating.

What happens when you convert the MP3 to AIFF first, and use that instead to do your 'extreme stretching'?

OK I would then try quitting Logic, moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist to the desktop, reopening Logic and see if the behavior changes.

Otherwise quit Logic, take the original preference file (on the desktop) and put it back in its original location.

sorry it took me so long to get back to you. just got home from work and removed the preferences, and had to force quit because of "application not responding." strangest thing; the only problem I have. i'm about to try repairing permissions as well just in case.

removed the preferences, and had to force quit because of "application not responding."

Did you quit Logic first? Make sure you first quit Logic, then remove the preference file.

yeah, I did. I also tried dragging out the .cst as well in another experiment.

So basically this is still unresolved for you correct?

yeah. on the last attempt I filled out the crash report. what do you think, time to just give up the ghost? usually if something happens, I will toss .plist, .cst and repair permissions and I'm good to go. if that doesn't work, it's usually a 3rd party plug; but this happens when there are no instruments/plugs loaded.

really appreciate your taking the time to help out brainstorming solutions for this though.

And does it happen with those specific files or with just about any audio file at all? I mean if you take an empty project, one audio track, record some audio, even silence for troubleshooting sake, and try to flex it to twice its length, crash?

Is it a specific Flex mode or all flex modes are creating the crash?

And does it happen with those specific files or with just about any audio file at all? I mean if you take an empty project, one audio track, record some audio, even silence for troubleshooting sake, and try to flex it to twice its length, crash?

Is it a specific Flex mode or all flex modes are creating the crash?

interesting questions. it does it with any file you try it with; but as for the flex mode, the only time it happens is when you hold option and grab the bottom right corner. if i use the flex view and just do little sections, it works great. in any mode.

is there a default mode that it uses when you grab the corner?

No, no default mode, you can stretch regions in any mode.

What if you drag the upper right corner of the region (no need to hold the Option key) instead of Option-dragging the lower right corner?

let me try that out. i'm right in the middle of doing a drum track for someone that I need to finish, but I will try it in awhile and get back with you. thanks again, much appreciated.

Archived