Looking to Get my 1st MBP!!!

Hello all. I'm brand new to this forum and i have no idea where exactly I was supposed to post this thread so if it needs to be moved..so be it ..

but anyways I've been waiting for this moment for dam near 2yrs now. Im about to get my refund check from school (ill have about $2400 to spend) and will be spending it on a macbook pro (my 1st laptop ever lol). Ive been using Sonar ever since i started producing. and i love it but i would like to get my hands dirty with Logic. My projects arent usually too big but i do have a plethora of VSTs and I plan to get into film scoring stuff very soon. And i have a Presonus Firestudio project as my interface (firewire).

I'm looking at the 13" with 2.6ghz & getting it with 8GB ram or the 15" with 2.53ghz. does the i5 processor make a big difference?? Any help is appreciated

If you can spend the money get the i5 or even i7.

You can probably get a better processor and get 4 gigs of ram and upgrade to 8 gigs later. Apple charges a lot for ram.

Consider the 7200 rpm hard drive.

Also get a FW800 drive to record your projects to, so you take the load off the system drive. You can put that drive first and daisy-chain it to your presonus interface.

are u referring to something like this?

That would probably work but it's not the best. Unless you need that kind of portability, I'd recommend a full size 7,200rpm drive. Something like this:

in the same brand:

3 TB G-Technology G-drive

2 TB G-Technology G-drive

Slightly less expensive:

OWC up to 2 TB drive

VST is a plugin format, which Logic does not use. Logic uses Audio Units.

Most plugins come in VST and AU format when you buy them.

So make sure the plugins you like come in AU format.

Virtual instrument plugins are installed on the system drive. The sounds they come with can be installed on a different drive.

could I install VSTs on a fw drive? (like 1 of those above) i know usb is slower than fw and it probably wouldnt respond fast enough but would it be able to run smoothly if installed on a fw800 drive??

SATA (internal) = eSATA (external) is faster than FW800 which is faster than USB 2.0.- some of those plug-ins don't use samples so you just install them on the system drive. Some load samples into RAM so the speed on the drive only affects the time it takes to open your project. Some stream samples so the speed of the drive affects the performance of your system during playback and recording.