Punch in preferences?

sonicguy

I think I have adequately professed my admiration for Logic on other posts and will reiterate that sentiment now.

However, there are some workflow issues that drive crazy that I'll post one at a time so that we can keep them separated.

Let me state up front that most of the time you all have pointed out that it's me and not the software that is at fault and I'm confident you'll straighten me out once again. So here goes.

In the course of normal work flow, when I'm playing back a newly recorded track and hear an issue. By the time the problem is located and it's determined that a punch in is necessary, I'm zoomed in on the problem area of the offending track and the playhead is at or near the location to be fixed. Now I press the "Punch In" button on the transport bar and, in my mind, the little red punch in bar should appear where the playhead is. Instead it shows up at the beginning of the edit. I have to zoom out, go retrieve it and drag it where the work is.

Is this a preference setting to get it to show up where the playhead is? Or is there another approach I'm overlooking?

Punch in usually refer to On the Fly recording. Say you were in play mode and wanted to manually hit record at some point in the timeline then Punch on the Fly would be your best choice. The drop in/Out I referred to is actually called AutoPunch. Have a read of Page 452 in the Manual it explains what you need to know.

I thought in the old days punch in would have been done on the fly, but the auto punch feature enhances this and makes it much more practical for me. Anyway, that's what I was referring to...auto punch.

So is there a way to get the little red bar, that determines the area to be recorded during auto punch, to show up at the playhead? Or am I always going to have to retrieve it from the beginning of the edit?

I thought in the old days punch in would have been done on the fly, but the auto punch feature enhances this and makes it much more practical for me. Anyway, that's what I was referring to...auto punch.

So is there a way to get the little red bar, that determines the area to be recorded during auto punch, to show up at the playhead? Or am I always going to have to retrieve it from the beginning of the edit?

The moment you enable Autopunch you can paint the red line on the ruler.

Archived