No input signal in Logic (works fine in Garageband)

Croz

I am using Logic 9.1.3 (1697.87) (32-bit).

I am having a problem that I am sure is related to my wetware (i.e. my brain), and I apologize for not finding the answer that is likely already posted somewhere here in these vast archives. I am very new to Logic.

My problem is that despite following the instructions for creating and Audio track I am not getting an input signal through my audio interface (an M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R).

I can record and play back just fine using the the FastTrack in Garageband so I am sure this is a wetware/software issue.

- I have followed the instructions to create a record-enabled Audio track (several times!)

- Logic is seeing the FastTrack and I have selected it for both input and output in the Audio Prefereces pane

- I can record audio to Logic using the built-in mic on my Mac

- Logic output through the FastTrack is working fine

Why am I not getting any input signal? Any guidance will be most appreciated! I am sure I am just missing a menu option or a check box.

Help? And sorry for the newbie question, but I gotta say I am delighted to have found this incredible place! Wow! :-)

Hello and welcome!

- I have followed the instructions to create a record-enabled Audio track (several times!)

- Logic is seeing the FastTrack and I have selected it for both input and output in the Audio Prefereces pane

- I can record audio to Logic using the built-in mic on my Mac

- Logic output through the FastTrack is working fine

You don't say anything about setting the correct input in the channel strip's input slot. Check that.

J.

Thanks for the reminder, jordito. Yes, the input is properly set in the channel strip.

I have made some progress but I'm still puzzled.

I set up the Audio track as Mono, but when I click the MONO/STEREO button at the bottom left of the the channel strip to set it to STEREO get a signal! But only on the right side... :-( So at least I am getting to record something at last but then it plays back hard right. I am not using a stereo source so that makes sense, but why would I have to "enable" stereo to get a signal for a mono source to a mono audio track.

I am quite sure I am still doing something wrong. *sigh* Any suggestions?

Thanks again, J., for responding and your warm welcome!

Yes indeed I am a total dope. I was so sure about how I had plugged the mics into the FastTrack. WRONG! Bloody hell! They are in 2 and 3, not 1 and 2 and that explains everything. I am rightfully embarrassed. Now, having set up new Audio tracks with the right input assignments all is working well. I didn't check the basics. A wetware issue indeed! :-(

Thank you, jordito and triplets, for taking the time to help. I have learned and that is what I'm going to have to do a hell of a lot of.

And yes, I am disappointed in the M-Audio interface, triplets. It seems to barley provide any signal at all. I ended up buying a used preamp (an M-Audio DMP3 ironically) just to get a significent signal. Grrr. Would you suggest a different interface? I might have a budget one of these days and I can sell the FastTrack.

So thanks again, you two, for helping out this total newbie. I hope I will be able to help someone here one of these days.

Yes indeed I am a total dope. I was so sure about how I had plugged the mics into the FastTrack. WRONG! Bloody hell! They are in 2 and 3, not 1 and 2 and that explains everything. I am rightfully embarrassed. Now, having set up new Audio tracks with the right input assignments all is working well. I didn't check the basics. A wetware issue indeed! :-(

Thank you, jordito and triplets, for taking the time to help. I have learned and that is what I'm going to have to do a hell of a lot of.

And yes, I am disappointed in the M-Audio interface, triplets. It seems to barley provide any signal at all. I ended up buying a used preamp (an M-Audio DMP3 ironically) just to get a significent signal. Grrr. Would you suggest a different interface? I might have a budget one of these days and I can sell the FastTrack.

So thanks again, you two, for helping out this total newbie. I hope I will be able to help someone here one of these days.

Don't worry, man, things like that can happen to anyone. Glad to know you got it sorted!

J.