q swing

grg1540

If it sounds good as is,why bother?

If you had midi files of some of the world's greatest players you'd see all sorts of unrigid behaviour.

Depends what you're trying to do,and what the player is doing.

Is he playing 16s a lot,or 8s?

Or do you want to beat map it so it fits the grid and sounds the same?

More info needed!

:wink:

From your description, you don't want to touch Q-swing (which would create a swing groove), but Q-strength (in your advanced quantize parameters), which determines how close to the grid you're quantizing (for exmple if Q-strength is 50% then your notes move halfway between their original position and the grid).

The number you choose for Q-strength depends on how close you want your notes to the grid vs to their original positions.

You might also been interested in the Q-range settings if you want to keep feel. When using these, the manual recommends using a 1/4 note Quantize setting. The idea is to define an area of "allowable slop" in your playing.

Try this one out and see if it works:

Quantize: 1/4

Q Strength: 70 %

Q-Range: 1/48

Play around with the Q-Range setting, somewhere in the 1/192 to the 1/48 range and of course season to taste with the Q strength parameter.

Essentially, Q-Range is defining the width of your slop zone, in either a positive or negative area around the quarter note.

The larger the positive Q-Range value, the more mistakes you are roping in. But on the negative end, the Q-range values do the opposite - the larger the value, the more it leaves notes untouched because it is defining the width, around the quarter note, where notes are not being quantized.

i am always happy to receive the info i seek from those who choose to share it.

David, has been invaluable in my learning experience as well as many others have. Always helpful with facts and in a way that is never opinionated about the way i need or choose to make music.

I wish all others would keep opinions to themselves.

It's facts, knowledge and understanding about LOGIC PRO 9 that i seek.

The best teachers give tools to create. Not tell HOW to create.

Wipe on, Wipe off.

Thanks to all.

g

nyc

I wish all others would keep opinions to themselves.

Thanks to all.

g

nyc

:shock:

Indeed: :shock:

Why so rude, dude?

This is a public forum by the way, if you ask for help your generally going to get a few different opinions on how things could be done. Thats the beauty of making music, there's no one right way…just my opinion :twisted:

thanks to david and camillo's detailed suggestions, it really enabled me to very easily quantize the whole midi piano track in under a minute.

yes the piano player is a good player but having this effortless control of his feel in the track without being bound by final quantization is so emancipating.

i started with camillo's suggestions below,

Quantize: 1/4

Q Strength: 70 %

Q-Range: 1/48

and took it from there.

once i knew how to approach this, finding what i was looking for musically was effortless.

thanks again.

g

nyc

Archived