Running big instruments from external drive?

Soundhound

I'm running an iMac 2.16 Ghz, with 3 gigs of RAM. I know it's way underpowered, but it's all I can do for the moment, and the RAM is maxed out. I've been using Garritan GPO and JBBO and the instruments that come with Logic Studio.: I'm going to get some bigger guns to do the work I'm doing, a good string package (not sure which yet!) Trillian, Ominsphere, Mojo horns, etc. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to run on my system, but we'll see! the questions is though I've tried to keep all instruments on my internal hd until now, now my internal drive won't have enough room to fit all this stuff on it, so it'll need to be on an external. Can you run these instruments from a USB2 external drive? Thanks!

RIght David, sorry that is what I meant. I'm hoping to install the instruments on my internal, and store the samples, etc on the external. Because my system in pretty underpowered, I'm wondering if I'll run into bottlenecks etc.

FYI, you never "run" applications from a drive, but from RAM, where they are loaded when you open them. What you can do is install the apps on your system drive, and most of those plug-ins should let you choose where you want to install (copy) the sample library, so you can place those on your external drive.

I'm hoping to install the instruments on my internal, and store the samples, etc on the external.

That's the idea. Keep in mind that there is no perfect situation though, as the FW800 drive is slower than your internal SATA drive - but at the same time putting everything on your system drive would potentially slow it down too.

Another consideration is that you want to keep 20 to 30% empty available space on your hard drives, ESPECIALLY on the system drive, if you don't want them to slow down too much.

The absolute best for this is a Mac Pro, which has 4 internal SATA bays, meaning 4 fast SATA drives. Then you can install your sample libraries on a non-system SATA drive that's just as fast as the system drive.

it does, but that's taken up with my Drobo (backup, file storage, massive itunes library, etc). I have my Logic Propject files on a drive connected to USB2.0 port. I guess I could daisy chain an 800 firewire drive with the Drobo...

Definitely NOT USB, that's one of the slowest connection for hard drives. Good enough for moving files and do backups (and still, quite slow), but definitely not recommended for audio file and/or sample streaming.

I suppose your machine has a FW800 port?

I have my Logic Propject files on a drive connected to USB2.0 port

Wow - then, again, that's really not a great idea. I mean if it works for you, depending on what kind of stuff you produce, great for you, but in general, avoid USB for anything real time for Logic, like sample libraries but also your projects etc...

Yes, you could try daisy-chaining the FW800 drive with the dobro, or disconnect the dobro when you work in Logic.

Hey David. As luck would have it, my internal drive died. So I'm thinking of putting a 1TB drive in there, and load all the big instruments on that. Do you think that's better or worse than running them on an external through either the firewood 400 or firewire 800 port?

I have my Logic Propject files on a drive connected to USB2.0 port

Wow - then, again, that's really not a great idea. I mean if it works for you, depending on what kind of stuff you produce, great for you, but in general, avoid USB for anything real time for Logic, like sample libraries but also your projects etc...

Yes, you could try daisy-chaining the FW800 drive with the dobro, or disconnect the dobro when you work in Logic.

What specs make a drive good for audio apps? Is there anything aside from it being 7200 RPM?

You can get a big drive for your iMac and install everything there.

Make sure it's a drive meant for audio apps, like WD Caviar Black, none of that "green" stuff.

Get a FW800 drive to put your projects on.

ok thanks

1) drives meant for intensive apps, meaning apps that read and write off the drive a lot and at quick speeds

2) at least a 32mg buffer.

anything else? What's a good source for buying one of these drives/a place where the people there will know what I'm looking for/what to recommend?

Drives that are meant for intensive apps, like the WD Caviar Black.

They are all 7200 with at least 32MB buffer.

• 2 years later...
FYI, you never "run" applications from a drive, but from RAM, where they are loaded when you open them. What you can do is install the apps on your system drive, and most of those plug-ins should let you choose where you want to install (copy) the sample library, so you can place those on your external drive.

I don't know why is this happening, I have the trilian installed in my MacBook Pro and when it comes to load a multi it is really slow, sometimes it doesn't even load. I have my STEAM folder in an external drive, but omnisphere also uses that STEAM folder and loads perfectly fine. MBP 2010, LogicX