Help with external Midi [SOLVED]

drms4lyfegmail.com

My first post and I'm new to all of this stuff so please take it easy on me. I'm a noob at this.

I recently bought a roland Octapad SPD 30 and a presonus firestudio project. The octapad has the capability of triggering acoustic drums by using triggers. Ok, so I've connected the triggers to the octapad and I have the octapad running into my presonus firestudio project. 2 midi cables total for the in/out of both systems.

So I create a new track in logic 9 and choose external midi. When I do this, I can record the midi coming into logic and can see the midi "hits" but when I play it back I don't hear anything. I've looked around on google and tried a quick search here, but everything seems to pertain to keyboards. So I was wondering, does anyone have any tips about how to trouble shoot this? Anyone with the octapad or any other sort of drum module that can shed some light on this topic for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to lose my mind over here. Thanks in advance!

So you're trying to use triggers on your drum kit to trigger the samples that are inside the Octapad?

Do you want to then record the audio from those samples onto an audio drum track in Logic? Or do you want to record the MIDI data onto a MIDI track and have that track use the sounds in Logic (that would be a software instrument track), or the sounds in the Octapad (that would be an external MIDI track)?

When using an external MIDI track you have to choose a destination for the MIDI events in the Library. In your case choose the Octapad. If you're using a MIDI interface, choose the MIDI Out # of your audio interface that is connected to the MIDI In on the Octapad.

Makes sense?

I want to use the midi data that comes from the roland and use plug-ins in my logic software to play using the midi data. So far I can get the data into logic, but when I play it back, it doesn't play anything back. So I'm just confused as to how I would route the system so that I can use say Steven Slate Drums as the "triggering" sounds off the midi data. I would like to try to get realtime playback if possible.

• 2 years later...

I'm having a very similar problem I can't quite work out with Logic Pro X. I'm trying to use a Roland Octapad SPD-30 to trigger the SoCal drums. I can see that each tap on the pad is being recorded but won't play back. I realized I can then pull the midi notes down vertically in the midi editing window and I hear the drums when I press play. The SoCal drums only make sounds from roughly C0 to C3. Is there a way I can sync the Octapad to record the notes in this region from the get go? I'm new to this program as well so any insight is greatly appreciated!

The attached photo shows where the notes register before being moved.

Logic 10.0.4 / OS 10.8.5 / iMac / 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8 GB ram / 1 TB SATA disk / Akai EIE Pro

1024820217_ScreenShot2013-12-16at8_04_43PM.thumb.png.97964aea0e79e0f410b86ffde47811a7.png

Foreverglow - I've been struggling with this issue too and just figured it out. What you need to do is change the Midi settings on the Octapad.

On your Octapad go to Menu --> MIDI --> NOTE #

From there you can change the note value for each of the 8 pads to correspond with any sound from the kit you're using.

Hope that helps.