Problems with playing around with tweaking imported tracks

millarddanny

I have an Korg M3 and Im having problems with importing the hardware instrumental tracks and being able to simply play around with them. There seems to be MASSIVE feedback through my Macbook pro laptop after I try and import them. I was told from a music store that I should either upgrade my sound card or buy a better audio interface. I figured that I should first check with people that work for Logic before purchasing anything. Thanks.

I was told from a music store that I should either upgrade my sound card or buy a better audio interface.

A travel agent would have recommended a good vacation,

A lawyer would have told you to sue,

A doctor would have asked you to "come back in a week",

etc..

That's called "conflict of interest". Basically, never trust a salesman.

Why don't you tell us:

What version of Logic,

What type of computer,

What audio interface etc..

How it's all connected?

Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

That question is sort of hard to address. In general Im more a PC person so I have no idea how to check the specs of my macbook. All I can really say is that I looked up the specs for a 17 inch and a quick look on apple says that its processor and memory is an intel core i5 with 3MB shared cache. I have no idea what any of that means but I hope thats what you were asking for.

On how its connected to my macbook is through my M-Audio Uniport. Seems like a standard MIDI connection from my Korg to my laptop. Do you think perhaps I somehow installed the drivers incorrectly?

That question is sort of hard to address. In general Im more a PC person so I have no idea how to check the specs of my macbook. All I can really say is that I looked up the specs for a 17 inch and a quick look on apple says that its processor and memory is an intel core i5 with 3MB shared cache. I have no idea what any of that means but I hope thats what you were asking for.

No it's not. Quick Apple 101 for you: head up to the  menu in the top left corner, select About This Mac. You'll get the basics there, and can click on More Info… in the window that opens up if you wind up needing said info.

I'm unfamiliar as well.

But beyond that… are you saying you're trying to use the patches on your Korg and get them into Logic? Or just use your MIDI sequences with software instruments in Logic? Because if it's the former, and if I understand your correctly when you say it's a "standard MIDI connection," that won't work. In that case, you'd need to have the tracks recorded as audio.

The specific interface im using is called "M Audio Uno USB MIDI Interface Cable." Its attached from my Korg M3 to my macbook.

So ultimately what Im attempting to do is to physically play on my Korg M3 ( with instrumental software/tracks preloaded on the korg) and I guess technically record the sounds from the M3 to Logic and then tweak them within logic. I would think this would be pretty standard and easy to figure out but it apparently isnt.

Korg m3 tracks --> make modifications, compressions, etc... It allows me to do this on Logics' already preloaded tracks but not from my Korg as it creates massive feedback. Once again thanks.

So what your saying is I need a another DIFFERENT audio interface? Id like to be certain of this as Im confused? What specifically do I need to buy...who the hell can figure out this problem because if the logic help forum cant and a music stores cant this is becoming a BIG problem that I've had for months.

You're having feedback because when you arm a track you're enabling the built-in mic of your laptop with your speakers at volume.

If you want to record the audio from your Korg you need an audio interface that receives the left and right outputs of the keyboard.

Something simple and good:

Presonus Audiobox

Or better:

Presonus Firestudio Mobile

These Audio/Midi interfaces is all you need.

What you had so far was just a midi interface. No audio goes thru that.

If you buy the Presonus you can get rid of the M-Audio unit.

One more thing:

Get an external FW800 drive (I'm guessing your laptop has a FW800 port) to record your projects to, so you can take load off the system drive of your laptop.

You can get them at www.macsales.com

If your laptop has only 1 FW port, you can daisy-chain firewire peripherals.

So if you get the Presonus FW interface, you connect laptop-FW800 drive-Presonus.

HALLEUlAH! finally an answer to my issue that actually makes some sense. Beautiful thats exactly what Im looking for? So what I need to do is be able to record audio from my KORG not just MIDI? If so I'll go out an buy one of these, do I need anything else or just one of these audio interfaces?

That's absolutely correct. Sorry if my previous response wasn't as clear.

Keep in mind that MIDI is not a "sound," MIDI is strictly information—a bunch of on and off signals; just numbers. Thus your MIDI interface is really not an audio interface.

triplets named some good cost-effective options for you, though there are numerous others to choose from as well. If you plan on getting more into recording than just doing instrumental stuff, you may want to research some of those other options, but that's entirely up to you.[/b]

Great thank you both for all the help. Definately very informative and answer my question completely. Im no where near electironically intelligent in any sort of way but I am looking probably to go deeper into recording. What other options would you recommend lookatthisguy to begin with? If you dont respond thats fine as you've already answered my main question.