Logic crashes when playing back all over again..

soundextra

My problems with Logic becoming more obvious now, and i cant find the reason why. I havent installed any more thrid party AU's since my initial setup 4 months ago, so I cant blame what happens on "them"

The reason I switched to Logic on iMac from Cubase on PC mainly because of stability and reliability of the first, since everyone been talkin about how stable the system is comparing to the latter, I decided to give it a go, and am pretty happy with my switch.

But now it started to get a bit annoying, since the "stabilty" gradually slides onto the background..

Today Ive reopened the project i've been working on for the last 5 days, and everything was perfect. Wanted to listen to the project, but couldnt. Logic would crash everytime I press playback. Either straight away, or after playing 20-30 second of the project.

Restarted it 5 times, same story...

:(

CPU Peaks like mad. But wasnt when I last was working on the project..

HD is killing red peak.

I am playing everything from internal HD, all my Sound Library, KOntakt 4 Libraries everything is on one HD, not even partitioned. Since dont know how to partition Mac drives..

With regards to Third party plugins there are lots of them in the likes of : Albino 3, Rob Papen boom bass, Sylenth 1 (4 times) Fab Filter 2, and so on..

I am attaching the crash report since I dont want to spam the thread, please do download it if you have spare minute, since i dont understand a thing in it :(

I thought i5 and 4gb of RAM would be enough not to experience that kinda issues, and also 1tb of hard drive.. Having that installed didnt think i need to throw everything on external HD, what am i gonna do with that 1tb internal drive then? Probably OS works differently..

crash.pdf

Crash Report

You're killing the cpu and the hard drive.

Try with raising your buffer in Logic's Audio Preferences.

Don't ever partition, it's gonna get worse.

Some people use external Firewire drives for their huge sample libraries.

But you should definitely save your projects on an external firewire drive. Don't use USB.

Ok, I just dont seem to understand why 4gb of ram and 1tb is not sufficient to run the project... And more suprisingly, why it did happen only today? I havent added up anything new as I mentioned before. Im just trying to find the root of that issue, and maye try to sort it out, rather just get an external hard drive then add up some more RAM, and end up with same situation again..

With regards to F/w external hdd, I am definately getting myself one, since ive always been using those to store my libraries and stuff. THe problem is, since im on iMac and it has only ONE f/w port which is employed by my audio interface, I dont know where to stick my hdd to... And searching internet for reviews on FireWire Hubs didnt get me much of a positive feeback either

Ok, I just dont seem to understand why 4gb of ram and 1tb is not sufficient to run the project... And more suprisingly, why it did happen only today? I havent added up anything new as I mentioned before. Im just trying to find the root of that issue, and maye try to sort it out, rather just get an external hard drive then add up some more RAM, and end up with same situation again..

With regards to F/w external hdd, I am definately getting myself one, since ive always been using those to store my libraries and stuff. THe problem is, since im on iMac and it has only ONE f/w port which is employed by my audio interface, I dont know where to stick my hdd to... And searching internet for reviews on FireWire Hubs didnt get me much of a positive feeback either

Seems to be a common question lately. You can daisy chain your HD and interface with FireWire. (I guess people became so accustomed to USB that that concept disappeared from the SCSI era)

You can choose to go with the hub.

http://www.nitroav.com/categories/67/

Or you can choose to go with daisy chaining.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Firewire.thumb.png.5ea73de9519799211a5559d0a4b0ebb6.png

Ok here's some update:

Ive opened the "problem" project again, hit play, intro went fine, when beat kicked in alongside with with Sylenth and Massive, Logic kicked out :) Reopened, removed channel strip with Massive on it (by the way there were two identical channels with Massive on them and 12 effect plugins) saved as new project with diff name, CPU calmed down, and wouldnot even move, played with project, tried playing from random loctations "to make CPU angry" still everything is fine... Then opened Grabber utilty to get the screen of that project. Boom. Logic's gone)

Now first it lead me to think that Massive with 12 effects causing CPU to cry, then after it crached again without it, ive got confused again.

Honestly, i dont know what to do.

Should I get external HD, reisntall Logic, then all the plugins but this time put everything on external hd.. or reinstall the entire OS.. dunno.

The frustrating thing is that I have a deadline approaching within few days time, to deliver the project, but I cant :?:

Yup.. same thing here, I couldn't have explained the problem better myself. Is anyone getting closer to a solution?

Unless you know for sure that you have the exact same setup as the OP, no one can answer your question. There's just too many variables. You need to be far more specific about what your rig is and what's going on. As triplets said above, —

The majority of crashes get solved on this forum and most likely it's a combination of 3rd party plugins with hardware setup.

— so start by providing information on your gear, then people can go from there.

• 1 year later...

SAME EXACT PROBLEM HERE. Nothing special going on, just logic. 9.1.6 is terrible compared to 9.1.3. I should not have updated, its a nightmare. Thank god for this page (http://logic.dudesnetwork.com/2010/02/07/logic-crash-project-recovery/) which saved my project, but it still won't play. Every time I press play, it freezes. Logic crashing in 9.1.6 is a usual occurrence these days. It all started when trying to do a X-Fade. Fading always has issues.

Now come at me with some condescending answer about how its all my fault. Or you could just say, I don't know.

There is enough info on this thread to understand what is happening. No need to elaborate. Soundextra did a good job.

UPDATE: Crashes when I press the pause button too. Project opens, I can click around, but when I hit play or pause, CRASH.

SAME EXACT PROBLEM HERE. Nothing special going on, just logic. 9.1.6 is terrible compared to 9.1.3. I should not have updated, its a nightmare. Thank god for this page (http://logic.dudesnetwork.com/2010/02/07/logic-crash-project-recovery/) which saved my project, but it still won't play. Every time I press play, it freezes. Logic crashing in 9.1.6 is a usual occurrence these days. It all started when trying to do a X-Fade. Fading always has issues.

Now come at me with some condescending answer about how its all my fault. Or you could just say, I don't know.

There is enough info on this thread to understand what is happening. No need to elaborate. Soundextra did a good job.

UPDATE: Crashes when I press the pause button too. Project opens, I can click around, but when I hit play or pause, CRASH.

You didn't provide any info about your setup and what you're using on the project.

Not enough to start the troubleshooting process.

Figured out my problem.

Failed fade attempt led to creating corrupted fade files which would lock up when trying to play. Threw out fade files, turned off fade on all regions.

Project plays now.

Guess I have to save every 5 minutes likes its 1990.

For the record, my setup is logic 9.1.6 on a mac. Thats enough info to submit a guess as to my problem. I hate posting my whole setup just to get the usual IDK from ppl.

It's a Logic bug. nuff said.

Figured out my problem.

Failed fade attempt led to creating corrupted fade files which would lock up when trying to play. Threw out fade files, turned off fade on all regions.

Project plays now.

Guess I have to save every 5 minutes likes its 1990.

For the record, my setup is logic 9.1.6 on a mac. Thats enough info to submit a guess as to my problem. I hate posting my whole setup just to get the usual IDK from ppl.

It's a Logic bug. nuff said.

Nice little attitude there buddy. All that talk about condescending, sounds like your doing it right away :shock:

Logic 9.1.6 on a mac is not enough because we're not in front of your screen and in your room. And I don't want to guess and give wrong suggestions because I don't have enough info about the circumstances of anybody's problem.

Good thing you got it sorted though.