Vocals for my new tracks: same key?

M3JCM

Hey guys, I just finished a new track and i would like to put some vocals on it. This will be my first track ever that i want to have vocals on so i have few questions. First off how do i know and make sure that the vocal i am using in my track is in the same key. Like how can i know or tell? Also can i do this with logic plug ins or do i need third party plug ins such as Vielklang instant harmony or Melodyne. So i hope i can do this in logic and it wont be too hard please help me with the easiest and best way to go about with this! Thanks so much for your time! Cheers

Are you recording new vocals? Or using existing samples?

How can you know if they're in the same key? By listening! If it sounds good, it's good. The only way to tell the key of a melody is to listen. If I sing C-D-B-A, that could work in C major, but also in A minor, in G major or E minor, and in many other keys and modes.... but if you don't know anything about music theory, then you can just use your ears to make a judgement call.

If you know your scales on piano, why not write the vocal melodies on an instrument, then practice singing along to it?

Or, as David already said, just do what sounds good. Even if what you end up singing doesn't fit into the key of your song, that doesn't mean it's "wrong". In fact, mixing key signatures can sound awesome.

i Know all my scales on the piano but not when they sing lol? I dont know if that makes sense but yeah.

No, it doesn't really. :lol:

I mean, scales are scales are scales… but it sounds like your question is more one of composition than technical concerns. As David said, start simple. Create your melody, write your lyrics, and hit record. Just create. Then decide if you like how it sounds, or else salt and pepper to taste.

Ok Thanks guys for the comments. So like you were saying do what sounds good, but then again what if you record it and some parts sound good and others don't what are my options? Also this question could go for a remix too that im doing i am using just a acapella and recreating the whole beat. Some parts sound good and others don't how can i get this perfect? What plug in do i need ? Thanks guys for your time.

Ummm… record another take? Cut the section you don't like and try something different? It's digital audio, not cement work.

And as far as plug-ins go, if you record something that ain't good (for your genre, mind you), no amount of plug-ins will change that. But aside from that, without hearing what you've got, knowing what you're going for and knowing what you have in your head, that's an unanswerable question, aside from saying that nothing will ever be perfect, and there's no magic fixing plug-in.

Archived