Recording twice with same virtual instrument track [SOLVED]

jri

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to record on the same virtual instrument track twice. For instance, could I use the virtual keyboard to tap out a basic kick, hi hat, and snare beat, and then record again and add some toms or crashes without erasing or recording over my original beat?

MIDI Recording Settings

• Merge with selected regions: Newly recorded data is merged with all selected regions,

to form a single region. This takes place after each recording is completed.

Or even better:

Creating a Track with the Same Channel Strip Assignment

There may be situations in which you want to have multiple copies of a track that address the same Mixer channel strip.

For example, you may want to create multiple tracks that address a software instrument,

such as the EXS24 mkII, with a drum kit loaded. Each track can contain MIDI regions that

trigger individual drum sounds (kick, snare, hi-hat, and so on). Having a separate track

for each sound allows you to independently mute or solo sounds in the kit.

Choose Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument.

J.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

...well, I actually just pasted from the manual :mrgreen: ..didn't feel like typing...

The first solution is what I was wanting, but the second is even better. It keeps sections separate so that I can have either all drums separate or banks suck as toms and cymbals separate.

Exactly. And here's another tip for when you use the second option:

Set the Track Mute/Solo preference to "CPU-Saving(Slow Response)" (Preferences>Audio>General) so that you can mute or solo each track independently (if it's set to Fast (Remote Channel Strips), tracks assigned to the same channel strip will mute and solo together, as if they were a one single track)

J.