How edit Automation on multiple tracks at the same time?

claesbjo

Hi, use gain plug for automation of volume. Sometimes I want edit the volume of several tracks at the same time in and in the same way, but not address them to mutual bus. Basically I want to group edit the automation. Is this possible? tried to marquee select several automation lanes, but that doesn´t work.

cheers

Claes

I want to group edit the automation. Is this possible?

First, make sure volume automation is shown for the relevant tracks.

Group the tracks (either permanently or temp.)

Use the Marquee Tool to mark the area you want to edit (on one of the tracks).

Make your edit on one of the grouped tracks. If you want to raise or lower all of the Automation proportionately, drag the yellow automation line with the mouse.

Immediately after you have completed your edit, the edit will be copied to the automation on the other tracks.

In the future you may want to use Aux tracks for Automation like this:

Set the Output of the track that you want Volume Automation on to an unused Bus. On the resulting Aux channel strip that is created in the Mixer change the Automation Parameters menu from Off to Read. This will automatically create a track in the Arrange for the Aux. I like to move that Aux track to right beneath the track that it's affecting. Now, write your Volume Automation on the Aux track. If you like, you can hide the Aux track in the Arrange once you're happy with the Automation. Now, only the Volume Fader on the Aux channel will be affected by the Automation. You can now adjust the volume of the original/source track as needed for overall tweaks.

Thanks, but I think I was unclear, I do not want to use the volume parameter, but the gain plug. I want to be able to select many tracks´s visible automation and move the nodes regardless of what parameter they are showing..

I kind of think that this might be impossible from a conceptual point of view, since different plug´s parameters might be responding different from each other, with different stepping etc.

But I wonder if there is a workaround for this specific case, since I want to leave Volume un-automated for setting relative overall level in the mix. It seems so clumsy to have to make an extra aux track for every track and let that track set relative level..

cheers

Claesbjo

Thanks, but I think I was unclear, I do not want to use the volume parameter, but the gain plug. I want to be able to select many tracks´s visible automation and move the nodes regardless of what parameter they are showing..

I kind of think that this might be impossible from a conceptual point of view, since different plug´s parameters might be responding different from each other, with different stepping etc.

But I wonder if there is a workaround for this specific case, since I want to leave Volume un-automated for setting relative overall level in the mix. It seems so clumsy to have to make an extra aux track for every track and let that track set relative level..

cheers

Claesbjo

If the Automation for the Gain Plugin is the same on all tracks, then why not just select all of the channel strips in the Mixer that you want to use the Gain Plugin on, set the output of one of the tracks to an unused bus (which will be duplicated on all selected tracks at the same time) and move your Gain Plugin to the resulting Aux channel strip for that bus. It's really not that much work. Takes about 5 seconds.

Yes, that is obviously an option, the problem is that many times the tracks are already assigned to different busses..I always mix with 5 or 6 different busses, like instruments, drums, vocals, bass etc, so if I want to do a fade with instruments that are going to different busses it´s a no go.

cheers

Claesbjo

Yes, that is obviously an option, the problem is that many times the tracks are already assigned to different busses..I always mix with 5 or 6 different busses, like instruments, drums, vocals, bass etc, so if I want to do a fade with instruments that are going to different busses it´s a no go.

Why? You can set the Output of your various Aux channels to another unused bus and place your Gain on that Aux channel.