Sustain Pedal registering a MIDI Note

JMDG

I'll apologize before explaining my problem, seeing as I'm new to the whole MIDI world. But here's the deal...I have a Yamaha p-95 digital grand with an M-audio SP-2 sustain pedal, and I have it connected to my MBP (using logic express) via a cheap USB-MIDI chord. It all works fine, except for the fact that when I use the sustain pedal, it registers a note - E3 specifically. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

I'll apologize before explaining my problem, seeing as I'm new to the whole MIDI world. But here's the deal...I have a Yamaha p-95 digital grand with an M-audio SP-2 sustain pedal, and I have it connected to my MBP (using logic express) via a cheap USB-MIDI chord. It all works fine, except for the fact that when I use the sustain pedal, it registers a note - E3 specifically. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

Um no I don't know the answer, but, I noticed when I first was learning how to set up my controller to Logic, that my sliders and buttons etc where triggering notes. Then I found out I had specified the controller incorrectly and the problem disappeared when I changed it to the correct one.

So I am suggesting it could be that you have the pedal incorrectly specified somehow, and I would be trouble-shooting along that line of thinking.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

I think Razor is on to something here,

I believe the CC# for sustain is 64, I also think the MIDI note number for E3 is 64. If your getting a note played at 127 velocity when you press the pedal then thats your problem.

I don't know off the top of my head what you would do to fix it but the first thing I'd do would be to make sure your pedal is connected through the correct socket.

Yeah, you guys seem to be spot on based on what I'm experiencing. But, the sustain pedal is in the right spot. Is there someway to map the pedal's midi output so as to not play the note? Or is that not possible...

I believe the CC# for sustain is 64, I also think the MIDI note number for E3 is 64. If your getting a note played at 127 velocity when you press the pedal then thats your problem.

The P-95 is the only MIDI source here, it should keep track whether Note or Controller data are sent, providing the correct MIDI commands where needed. The SP-2 is a simple switch that is read by the P-95, so only the P-95 is responsible for what is sent, and I am sure it doesn't make mistakes here. Skimming the P-95's manual I found no clue that the MIDI Controller commands could be changed, so I suspect the MIDI-to-USB cable is faulty.

If I were you I'd also check what happens when you use the sustain pedal in some other program (garageband or whatever you have)...or download MIDI Monitor to see what's getting to the computer. This way you'll know for sure what's going on. Personally, I've never seen MIDI data being transformed by a busted MIDI interface, especially if it's such a simple one like that cable thing you have.

J.

If I were you I'd also check what happens when you use the sustain pedal in some other program (garageband or whatever you have)...or download MIDI Monitor to see what's getting to the computer. This way you'll know for sure what's going on. Personally, I've never seen MIDI data being transformed by a busted MIDI interface, especially if it's such a simple one like that cable thing you have.

For sure it's a good idea to use a MIDI monitor that is independent of Logic. But if it shows there is a Note On coming in instead of Control 64 data, you still don't know who's the culprit. Speaking of busted interfaces... once I had two Atari ST computers and two NEC printers. Printer A worked with computer B, Printer B worked with computer A, Printer B worked with printer B. But Printer A didn't work with computer A. I went almost nuts about it because the experiments proved both printers and both computers were ok, just one combination wasn't. After hours of research and measuring I found printer A had a too low impedance on one port pin, and computer A (but not computer B!) was too weak on the printer port to drive this pin.

If something is wrong with either the MIDI output driver of the P-95 or the input threshold of the interface cable, the serial MIDI bits could smudge into each other, changing one command to another one. Not likely, but possible.

If something is wrong with either the MIDI output driver of the P-95 or the input threshold of the interface cable, the serial MIDI bits could smudge into each other, changing one command to another one. Not likely, but possible.

That makes sense...i should have added "...but you never know..." to my post. :)

J.

Speaking of busted interfaces... once I had two Atari ST computers and two NEC printers. Printer A worked with computer B, Printer B worked with computer A, Printer B worked with printer B. But Printer A didn't work with computer A. I went almost nuts about it because the experiments proved both printers and both computers were ok, just one combination wasn't. After hours of research and measuring I found printer A had a too low impedance on one port pin, and computer A (but not computer B!) was too weak on the printer port to drive this pin.

In this test printer B works with printer B because it is printer B :)

Speaking of busted interfaces... once I had two Atari ST computers and two NEC printers. Printer A worked with computer B, Printer B worked with computer A, Printer B worked with printer B. But Printer A didn't work with computer A. I went almost nuts about it because the experiments proved both printers and both computers were ok, just one combination wasn't. After hours of research and measuring I found printer A had a too low impedance on one port pin, and computer A (but not computer B!) was too weak on the printer port to drive this pin.

In this test printer B works with printer B because it is printer B :)

I take back I almost went nuts. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the responses. The problem exists in garageband as well. I downloaded midi monitor and here's a sample of what it reads when i press down and release the pedal multiple times.

14:44:03.441 From Port 1 Note On 1 E3 127

14:44:03.549 From Port 1 Control 1 Hold Pedal 0

14:44:04.616 From Port 1 Note On 1 E3 127

14:44:04.771 From Port 1 Note Off 1 E3 0

14:44:04.784 From Port 1 Note On 1 E3 79

14:44:04.786 From Port 1 Note Off 1 E3 0

Interesting (...or maybe "damn, that's bad" would be more appropriate :cry: ) you have half a sustain message (the "off" part: Control 1 Hold Pedal 0) in there while note E3 is getting the "on"....and then the values (0 and 127) just pass to the note (which happens to be note 64 like ruari mentioned). So Jope was right, there's something broken there and it looks like it's not software.

J.

Well, I payed 5 dollars for the USB-MIDI cable, so I'm surprised its even working as well as it is. Minus this pedal problem, it seems to be great. I have to send the p-95 back for an exchange anyways, seeing as it is brand new and has some buzzing/distortion in the left speaker. When I receive my new unit, and still have the same problem (which i'm guessing I will), I'll probably invest in a midi/spdif breakout cable to use with my Presonus Firebox interface. As you can tell, I'm trying to do things the cheap way...and in doing so, giving myself headache after headache...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I THINK I'VE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

its to do with the instrument on the piano you've selected.

u need to press down both piano 1 and jazz organ together and then start recording

Logic will play one loud low note but after that, u're up and running.

• 4 months later...
I THINK I'VE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

its to do with the instrument on the piano you've selected.

u need to press down both piano 1 and jazz organ together and then start recording

Logic will play one loud low note but after that, u're up and running.

only_oli,

I tried the same thing on my p-95 and it worked! thanks!

my original problem was the same.

Yamaha p-95, mAudio sustain pedal, $5 dollar midi -> USB cable and the sustain pedal would emit an E instead of sustain.

i don't know how you figured it out but... great!

Archived