I need some advice on a suitable FW800 external drive

I haven't measured how loud they are but compared to a 2.5" fan-less drive (a laptop drive), they're LOUD. Definitely don't recommend them to anyone recording with microphones in the same room. And even if you only deal with MIDI/software instruments and electric guitars or whatever, their noise will eventually drive you nuts. I use them as back-up drives now.

Get something fan-less (or with a quiet fan), or get one of these Lacie's and keep it in another room or something.

J.

It's the little details like that which make all the difference, thanks for the advice Jordito. :)

I really liked the look of those when I saw them on Amazon earlier, according to the advert they are fanless, quiet & safe.

Can anyone recommend a suitable FW800 drive in a similar price range?

I really liked the look of those when I saw them on Amazon earlier, according to the advert they are fanless, quiet & safe.

That's right, they are fanless. But I'm not sure why...I'd say the way the enclosure is designed, it acts like a metallic-sounding resonant box. When you turn them on, you can clearly hear the disk spinning up to speed (like a turbine...only quieter), and then settling at a constant whir.

Other than that I do think they are good drives and I like them.

I still haven't found a store (online or physical) in spain or europe, where they sell hard drives with the interface features of the quadra, but quiet enough for audio work.

I bought one of these from OWC and they're quiet. But had to pay a $42 shipping fee.

J.

Hmmm, this is not an easy thing to do is it. I've just spent the last couple of hours trawling the net trying to find something suitable but I'm not getting much luck.

Thanks for the suggestion Jordito, ideally I'd like 1TB but the 1TB version of the Mercury Elite doesn't mention if it's fanless or otherwise. This one which will cost me a total of $200 (about £125) to buy & get shipped to the UK.

What do you think of this one?

I have one of these - 2Tb/7200rpm - no complaints

Andy

i almost bought the 2tb model, but then decided to buy a 2nd internal drive with caddy

I'd prefer internal over external - I'm impressed with macsales.com. So far I've had a 2Tb External, 750Gb Internal and 8Gb of RAM from them for my MBP - Reasonably priced, quick response, easy shipping etc

I have one of these - 2Tb/7200rpm - no complaints

Andy

i almost bought the 2tb model, but then decided to buy a 2nd internal drive with caddy

I'd prefer internal over external - I'm impressed with macsales.com. So far I've had a 2Tb External, 750Gb Internal and 8Gb of RAM from them for my MBP - Reasonably priced, quick response, easy shipping etc

yeah, i got really attentive service from their sales team (answered quite a few questions)

bought 2 750gig, 7200 drives....once i'm done with this current project, i'll fit it all into the laptop to give me a juicy 1.5tb laptop space

the delivery was fast, the packaging was very protective...no complaints

It looks like I'm going to get myself a 1TB drive from here then.

The shipping to the UK is $52 :shock:

I wish there was someone a little bit more local selling these, thanks for your help guys. :)

but, when all's said and done, the price isn't much higher than what you were gonna pay (in pounds) and i do believe it to be a much superior product