Moving Regions

Joseph Hanna

Some days I think I've got this migration from PT to Logic aced. Days like today I feel like I've just busted into Logic for the first time :)

My question.

I want to move a region from track 27 down to track 28. I don't want it to slip. In PT I can hold apple/option and drag and it ain't gonna slip left or right. It's lock on the time line AS I move it. Obviously I can get the job done fairly easy in Logic but for dialog I feel like I'm forced to to check at the sample level. Just to be sure.

Is there a clutch key in Logic that locks the region so I can move it to another track without fear of it moving in the time line??

Yep...once again thanks Scott. 10 years of post production with Pro Tools and some things are just intrinsically locked in my head.

I've enjoyed the last last 6 months of migration albeit some days are more trying than others. Any who thanks again for helping. Keep it coming and I owe you a beer. Are you in L.A.??

Is there a clutch key in Logic that locks the region so I can move it to another track without fear of it moving in the time line??

press and hold 'shift' while you drag the regions.

I wish that was the case :) Option Shift drag seems to make a duplicate on another track leaving the original in place. Shift drag does nothing but deselect the region.

Maybe I have something set wrong???

click-drag, then press shift while dragging

OK cool. That does work! Thanks!

The problem I have (and please file it under old die-hard habits) is I work with a LOT of video editors and a LOT of dialog. I'm forced to drag dialog all over hell each and everyday. Sometimes hundreds of snippets. Editors RARELY follow any audio protocol and I get OMFI files with dialog splattered in every nook and cranny of every session. I often get dialog CROSSFADED with FX's. In order to restore some sanity I must often drag bit's and pieces of dialog to new tracks I've determined to be dialog only.

Now since time is always of essence I must feel fairly secure that when I drag dialog to a new track that it's still locked to picture. There is CERTAINLY no time to check each and every drag. If I took it for granted come "online" time Titanic hell would break loose if I wasn't sure my dialog "drags" weren't sample accurate,

Pro Tools let's me grab a region and simultaneously while dragging up or down also (by moving the region from side to side just to make sure the region is locked) let's me know I haven't drug the dialog left or right by even a frame.

Maybe I just don't yet trust Logic BUT...when I follow click-drag and then shift there's seems to be opportunity to easily slip things left or right.

I'll continue to experiment though!!

OK cool. That does work! Thanks!

If you want this behavior permanently, you can activate "Limit dragging To One Direction In Arrange" in Preferences>General>Editing.

Nice! Thank you!!

And...now if you press the shift key, it will allow you to move freely.

If you follow FlowerPower's tip, you can still use the default behavior by pressing Shift. That preference actually inverts the behavior of the Shift key.

Also note that you can press Shift repeatedly if you change your mind - let's say you chose to limit dragging in your preferences:

• Click hold a region or note and drag it to the right (dragging is limited horizontally) - continue holding throughout the following steps

• Press Shift once (dragging is no longer limited)

• Press Shift once more (dragging is limited)

Also note that you can press Shift repeatedly if you change your mind - let's say you chose to limit dragging in your preferences:

• Click hold a region or note and drag it to the right (dragging is limited horizontally) - continue holding throughout the following steps

• Press Shift once (dragging is no longer limited)

• Press Shift once more (dragging is limited)

Thanks David, I didn't know that the shift key only needs to be clicked on once to invoke the new movement ability. I've always held it down the whole time. This is way more convenient!

@ Joseph Hanna, I find that if you have "Snap to Absolute value" in the Snap menu unchecked then a vertically dragged region should stay in it's original timeline position.

I find that if you have "Snap to Absolute value" in the Snap menu unchecked then a vertically dragged region should stay in it's original timeline position.

I don't see that behavior here, my guess is it still depends on the amount of horizontal mouse movement vs your snap setting (smart vs bar, tick etc...).

Archived