Time Machine/Logic backup

drumin2dabeat

Okay so I had a major malfunction in my system, completely erased the HD and reinstalled the OS. Moving from Leopard to Snow Leopard in the process..

Yes, I had everything backed up.. but the problem is Logic as the application.

I tried to reinstall Logic via Time Machine backup and it didn't work. Logic would open for audio tracks and anything of that sort. But when trying to do any software instruments or anything like that.. it would freeze, or just not open.

Is there a way to reinstall Logic from a Time Machine backup properly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas

P.S. I dont have the original Logic CDs, lost them while moving. But I do have the original serial number written down. Would an upgrade to Logic 9 solve this problem?

Getting an app like Logic from a previous operating system is not gonna be easy because you have to get every individual folder besides the app.

I did it for a friend who lost his SN!! We reinstalled OSX and couldn't install Logic. It was a pain I can tell you, but he was already on Snow Leopard, so I just dragged the stuff over from a backup (it's more complicated than what it sounds).

You're best bet is if you have the original Logic 8 SN, get the Logic 9 upgrade, which will work much better in Snow Leopard.

Yes as I've found out. I tried to drag all the files from the library: application support, audio, all the plug-in settings and everything else. But I guess all it takes is that one file.

If I do get the Logic 9 upgrade, doesn't that just install on top of 8? Would it even fix the problem. If it did I would be fine to do it, been meaning to do it for a little while. I just don't want to make the leap and then have it not work after all.

Did you use Migration Assistant with Time Machine?

From http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/time-machine.html :

"Migration with style.

If you’re setting up a new Mac with files from an old Mac, Time Machine can help simplify the process. Just use Migration Assistant to copy portions of any Time Machine backup to a new Mac, or select “Restore System from Time Machine” in the Utilities menu on your Mac OS X install disc. Choose any date recorded in Time Machine to set up your new Mac exactly as your previous Mac was on that date."

I've heard folk bitch about Migration Assistant, but it worked a charm from my 3/4 dead G4 to my iMac.

If I do get the Logic 9 upgrade, doesn't that just install on top of 8? Would it even fix the problem. If it did I would be fine to do it, been meaning to do it for a little while. I just don't want to make the leap and then have it not work after all.

The Logic 9 upgrade is the full app.

You can install it fresh, it will just ask for a previous Logic 8 or 7 SN.

I would completely restore the system from Time Machine, but the problem in the first place was corrupted files and/or some primative mac virus. I was trying to avoid copying too much from time machine, just using it for important files. I'll try Migration Assistant and a few other things.. If that doesn't workI guess I'll have to go with the 9 upgrade.

Archived