logic won't bounce down more than a 2gig file..(SOLVED)

el-bo

deadline's in 30minutes (theoretically)

just about to bounce down, import into waveburner and burn disc but logic aint letting me....it says 2 gig is the limit, and to shorten the bounce time

i can't shorten it...it's a 35 minute piece, incorporating 100 audio tracks

this cd has to be posted in 6.5 hours...

any ideas ?? :cry:

Edited by el-bo

There is a bug related to this, in that Logic incorrectly includes the file size of both bounced and normalised files in the file size limit, and can refuse to bounce large aiffs in some circumstances even if the file size is under 2gig when normalise is turned on.

The full details are documented in another thread somewhere, but it's worth being aware of. But then the "normalise" check box in the bounce dialog is evil and shouldn't be used, anyway... ;)

Just as an aside.. It sounds like one of your HDs is formatted using Fat32.. hence the 2 gig file size limit.

nope :D (but i did check....i can't be too sure of myself...not before some serious sleep, anyways)

Edited by el-bo

There is a bug related to this, in that Logic incorrectly includes the file size of both bounced and normalised files in the file size limit, and can refuse to bounce large aiffs in some circumstances even if the file size is under 2gig when normalise is turned on.

The full details are documented in another thread somewhere, but it's worth being aware of. But then the "normalise" check box in the bounce dialog is evil and shouldn't be used, anyway... ;)

it's bizarre..was having quite a few issues bouning, this morning.....for some reason, my normal choice to 'normalise for overload protection only' had actually changed, and was normalising my tracks....grrrr

maybe this did also contribute...however, once i searched out, and changed all the surround tracks, it seemed to be okay (can't understand why there were so many, as i only imported a couple of 'ambience' loops)

having been up for 24 hours straight, finishing this project, it didn't strike me as odd that a bounced stereo file should exceed 2gig :roll: :roll: ...that was, clearly, the main problem

anyways, so glad to get it out of the way or another year...

thanks for the suggestions

Ok.. so if I understand you correctly, there is a max limit within Logic itself, of 2 gigs..(be it a bug or not) for any bounced file (or the data required to created the bounced file)?

I ask because I have never come across this.... but then, that is probably because of the type of music i write... or maybe just dumb luck! :)

Edited by n6smith

Ok.. so if I understand you correctly, there is a max limit within Logic itself, of 2 gigs.. for any bounced file (or the data required to created the bounced file)?

No, caf's don't have a file size limit problem. But some other file types do, particularly aiff's. Aiffs *should* have a max file size of 4GB, but in Logic there are some practical limits on this - tbh I can't remember the exact details without going and refreshing my memory.

But 2gig+ audio files are not that typical for most people anyway...

No, caf's don't have a file size limit problem. But some other file types do, particularly aiff's. Aiffs *should* have a max file size of 4GB, but in Logic there are some practical limits on this -

But 2gig+ audio files are not that typical for most people anyway...

Ah.. gotcha... Thanks.. That makes much more sense to me now. Time to go do some reading up on this.... though as you said, it probably isn't typical usage... Certainly not for me at least...

Thanks again for the explanation...

• 5 months later...

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I emailed Topher at MacFixit (http://reviews.cnet.com/macfixit/) and he was very helpful and told me to do this:-

"Go to the /Macintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ folder and move the "Prokit.framework" folder (and the "ProKit(SnowLeopard).framework" folder if also present) to the Desktop. Delete the original(s). Then download and install Prokit 7.0 from this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1385

Restart and launch Logic". All should now be well again.