midi note recorded before bar 1 causing other clips to move

collinsylex

I really like how logic gives me a countdown to bar 1 when recording midi... The only problem with it that i have is if i play a little before bar 1 starts my whole project will shift over by a bar or two... pretty annoying for me when that happens because then i have to move everything around to fix the view and such. is there a way to setup logic to ignore notes before bar1, or, a way to make sure that the exisiting clips dont shift down the timeline to insure that the note didn't get cut off?? I would rather pencil in the very first note that got cut off than see all the clips in my edit window start a bar or two later.

Sorry if this is some really basic feature i should already know about... Even tho i have been using logic for a few months i still feel like a total NOOB!

Thanks

Your regions don't shift, but Logic moves the project start marker from bar 1 to bar 0 so it can display the notes you played before the downbeat of bar 1.

This is, in general, a bad idea because Logic will yield all kinds of buggy behaviors when the project start marker is not at its default 1 1 1 1 position.

To avoid those issues, consider starting your project on bar 2 or later.

ok, so there is no preference or anything to stop logic from changing the start time to bar 0? i am not too crazy about starting a few bars in simply because i am used to seeing bar 1, 9, 17, 25, 33 kind of thing while doing arrangement and such... not the end of the world to start a couple bars in, but if there is some checkbox i didn't see in the preferences regarding this behaviour i would certainly disable the feature...

thanks for your help david, ive been nibbling away at your training book for a good while now, great resource!... i just wish i had more time when i wasn't on the verge of sleep to work thru it!

Archived