Using the Mod Controller for Dynamics in EXS24

jsmanness

I originally posted this tip on my blog [see link above]. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. I hope you find this helpful!

I believe using the mod controller (cc1) for dynamics helps create a more expressive, realistic MIDI mockup. Many of the more expensive libraries include settings that use the mod controller instead of velocities for dynamics. While velocities are great for short articulations, the mod controller allows for more natural, dynamic swells with legato and sustained articulations. If you’re using Logic’s EXS24 sampler to play your samples, here are instructions to change velocity-based dynamics to mod-based.

Step 1: Load a sample in EXS24.

Though these settings can be applied to any sample loaded in EXS24, I’ll use the “Violin Section 1 Legato” sample that comes with Logic Pro as our example.

Step-2.jpg.c8e9ef0fef1522a35677e86f1459293a.jpg

Step 2: See how many dynamic levels are available.

Step-2aR1.thumb.jpg.b01e76aeef94e20d0fc1d02502c883a7.jpg

Once your sample is loaded, open EXS24 and select the “edit” button in the upper-right side. In the edit window, select “Groups” in the top-left to see how many dynamics are available. (If you're using "Violin Section 1 Legato," you should see 3 dynamic-levels plus a group "DummyGroup for CC4," which I'm not sure what that does.) In order to take advantage of the mod controller, any sample you load must have at least two dynamic levels (better samples include 3-6 levels).

Step 3: Change dynamic selections from velocity to CC1

Close the edit window and look at the EXS24 window. In the first Modulation Matrix, change the source parameter (Src) from “Velocity” to”Ctrl #1.” In the second matrix, change the destination parameter (Dest) to “Filter Cutoff” and the source to “Ctrl #1″ along with selecting the inverse button (inv) next to the source parameter.

Steps-3-and-4.jpg.1a887a63b8ff349c7173828060b18af6.jpg

Step 4: Xfade to crossfade dynamics.

In the Xfade parameters section, change the “Amount” to a number (30-60 is a nice range) that allows you to hear a smooth transition between each dynamic level without losing the characteristic of each dynamic. A number too high just blends all the dynamics together and creates little change in sound; a number too low sounds choppy.

Step 5: Save Instrument as…

Step-5.jpg.e876b15b5a5b4d745f0b2205e9ef7fd1.jpg

Select “options” in EXS24 and click “Save Instrument as…”. Change the name to SAMPLE NAME + Mod (i.e. Violins 1 Legato + Mod) and save somewhere in the “Sampler Instruments” folder so you don’t overwrite factory settings. Now you can load these settings for your next project and produce more realistic-sounding mockups!

Edited by jsmanness