Learning to sing

I am not a singer. At all. I used to hate my voice, and now I'm fine listening to it, but I just don't do a good job singing. I've taken a couple of years of musicianship, so I can sing in tune, but it's just not pretty at all.

Anyway, I've only recently started adding lyrics to my instrumental stuff. Obviously, I record with my capable singer friends when I can, but I want to be able to lay down a track on my own. That is, so that I actually have something that conveys the kind of singing I want, not to distribute or anything.

Outside of voice lessons and just blindly singing a lot, how can I improve the quality of my voice?

Practice.

I have heard people sing who have total control over their technique. Everything sounds correct, but it is NOT enjoyable to listen to.

Some voices fit the song, others do not.

Imagine some of your favorite singers singing songs they have no business singing.

http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2010/03/buck_wheat.jpeg

That was a while ago: I was sick with nothing better to do so I took a MIDI file of the song that I had programmed for Yamaha and recorded my vocals in French over it. It's all MIDI programming triggering Logic instruments, and my (sick) vocals.

It was the best thing I've heard all day!

Really funny.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Aside from voice lessons(which can be VERY helpful), another option is to record yourself singing songs and make notes on what you don't like and try something different.

Some things to think about...

Breathing: make sure you have enough air before singing phrases

Volume: Verses should be softer, choruses should be louder

Diction: Pronounce the consonants. D, K, T, S are important.

Aside from voice lessons(which can be VERY helpful), another option is to record yourself singing songs and make notes on what you don't like and try something different.

Some things to think about...

Breathing: make sure you have enough air before singing phrases

Volume: Verses should be softer, choruses should be louder

Diction: Pronounce the consonants. D, K, T, S are important.

.... Or practicing your Tarzan yell ...

Obviously, I record with my capable singer friends ....

....how can I improve the quality of my voice?

I would start with feed back from your friends. Perhaps they can advise you on your best next step. They're right there... :)

An easy relaxed situation will facilitate your relaxation.

Belt it out!

I can't HEAR You

:)

• 3 months later...
I used to be not that great of a singer, but I spent about 2 years singing christina aguilera songs non stop. Basically I would listen to the song until I knew it well enough to imitate everything she was doing, then I would get on youtube and look up karaoke for the song and sing that. Once you are singing without someone else you can hear yourself much better. If there is a part you can't sing just like someone else, try to sing that part way slower and speed it up until you have it right.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'd suggest just find an artist whose singing you like and whose personality you resonate with and just start imitating them any chance you get i.e in the bathroom, while driving etc. Eventually you'll start getting a feel for their style and once you understand it you can then start singing the same songs but with your own spin on it. Eventually you'll be belting out your own tunes in your own unique style!

I used to be not that great of a singer, but I spent about 2 years singing christina aguilera songs non stop. Basically I would listen to the song until I knew it well enough to imitate everything she was doing, then I would get on youtube and look up karaoke for the song and sing that. Once you are singing without someone else you can hear yourself much better. If there is a part you can't sing just like someone else, try to sing that part way slower and speed it up until you have it right.

to hear your own voice back and see how you did the job, you should record your voice for sure. then listen to it. But why trying to sing like someone else? If christina aguilera wanted to sing like britney, then she never could be christina right now. she is christina aguilera because she sings with her own voice and she does her own specific style and not anybody else. Ofcours I understand that you mean it just for practice, but even for practicing I would do my own style. that's my opinion.

Finding your own voice can be difficult for some people. It's natural to learn by imitation. A newborn finds his own voice by imitating his parents. What you think it "your own voice" is actually something you have acquired through years of imitating your parents, your friends, the artists you admire etc...

I personally think it's a great way to learn to start by trying to imitate the artists you admire.