Help understanding this chart (chord progressions) Update!

Wavves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's your music, so from I, do whatever you want/hear.

Granted, there was a time when I'd probably have been lynched for suggesting that, but music theory has liberalized quite a bit since then (we're talking hundreds of years here), so you could, as the basest of examples, sit on a tritone for a while and get away with it.

As has been suggested numerous times before, it's music theory, not music law, and theories are made to be disproven.

EDIT: I don't think it was a (hic), but today was our office party at the day job, and I may or may not have had a glass of wine about the time I originally posted this. So I have no idea what "so from I" was even supposed to mean originally, though I probably just trailed off on a half-thought, because I didn't have that much… everyone else beat me to it.

Regardless, the point is still clear.

Edited by lookatthisguy

Ha ha, so true Lookatthisguy and rules are made to be broken, though I don't know if I'd sit on a tritone :shock:

I use music theory to help in my writing for sure but it's also a great tool for getting into the minds of the artist I try to emulate (to a point) and allows me to be more connected with what is going on. Most importantly it's a priceless tool for being able to communicate with other musicians.

Cheers,

Ken