The Story Behind Your Artist Name

All music is referenced to the pitch of "A" or 440Hz,

Not in Germany.

oh ok, my bad! It WAS a generalized statement... Maybe i should've said most common tuning used around the world ...

...for instruments tuned to western equal-tempered tuning... after 1939...

I like the Indian virtuosic classical approach; spend years meditating to find your own reference pitch, then all your accompanying musicians have to tune to you. Sounds more like the approach used when I played in disorganised rock bands, you just tune to whoever sounds most in tune, who knows what actual notes you're playing in relation to A=440Hz!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The Digital Princess...

Well, when I was a kid of 15, I was really into UK Happy Hardcore and loved a song called "Angel Eyes" by DJs Brisk & Ham, so I called myself Angel Eyez (changing the s to a z for purposes of "originality", which turned out to be not so original) because my real name "Lara Schilling" does not sound musical by any means. A few years on, I was studying music business and was partnered up with another student for an assignement to promote a "new act" with a press release pack. Because it was for fun, we decided to do my own "act". We required all these things including an event (CD launch), photos, biography etc and we needed a tagline. My partner immediately came up with "The digital princess of electronic romance, shining a light of hope onto the darkness of the cold dancefloor". I produced crappy dance music with sappy lyrics, so there we go, The Digital Princess stuck.

Now at 23, I have buried my Happy Hardcore collection deep in the archives and watch all my friends listen to that stuff whilst I sit here in my KMFDM shirt, haha.

It was my AIM screen name that I made when I was 14.

Oh ya the 9k is a reference to Hal9000...ya I was a nerd.

hahahaha, thank god everyone doesn't just use their AIM names from age 14. My artist name would be "Cooties005"

Haha hilarious. My name came about cuz "JK" stands for the both parts of my last name. Everyone started calling me that in grade school and it just stuck

...my real name "Lara Schilling" does not sound musical by any means.

Well, it made me remember your German cousin (or father...???)

I hadn't heard of him until a few years ago. My grandmother's maiden name was Noiman which was SO DAMN CLOSE to Neumann. Dammit!

I look more like Trent Reznor and Alan Rickman as Severus Snape had a child.

• 5 weeks later...

I purely created Bass Junction thru making a list of about 40 words i liked and started pairing them up as i wanted two words in my alias. Bass Junction was the favourite of many combinations.

Years ago when i was writing under Mr. E it was the play-on-words of Mystery. Of course tho everyone mistook it for the drug reference, which is ironic as I've never taken drugs ha!

• 1 month later...

Right now, I just compose under my real name. :3

A band I was in was called the Introvers because we kept discussing how to fit in the intro and the verse in one of our songs, and we kept discussing song structure. And an earlier cover band was called Euphonix because of its musical connotation. Though it isn't too original.

I like the Indian virtuosic classical approach; spend years meditating to find your own reference pitch, then all your accompanying musicians have to tune to you. Sounds more like the approach used when I played in disorganised rock bands, you just tune to whoever sounds most in tune, who knows what actual notes you're playing in relation to A=440Hz!

WTF? I'm Indian and I never heard of that! And most of the Indian classical virtuosos play in microtones, so I guess tuning doesn't matter too much. :mrgreen:

Also, I remember now that they often shift some of the twelve notes up or down a microtone or two when they feel it would add to their performance, which is what you might be loosely referring to.

Honestly speaking I never quite enjoyed the microtonal performances myself. They sound meditative but not sweet.