Kurt Cobain killed himself 17 years ago

I just read that news. Today is exactly 17 years since Kurt Cobain killed himself. Wow. What a shock. I mean, to me it feels like that was yesterday. I can't believe 17 years have passed. I miss the guy. He continues living amongst us through his songs and the influence he's passed on to so many artists.

Just yesterday me and a mate were singing "In Bloom" at the local karaoke bar. Maybe that explains why my voice is shot today. :lol:

I wonder what he would have been doing now, musically?

That is something that I would really like to see. So much talent. I wish he would have given himself a chance to outgrow the destructive scene and forces he was mixed up with.

It's too bad we'll never have the answer. :(

Totally agree with you about the destructive scene that he was a part of. I for one have never liked Courtney Love, she looks and acts like a drug addled skeez.

Fair guess, that's because she is a drug addled skeez…

It's too bad we'll never have the answer. :(

Totally agree with you about the destructive scene that he was a part of. I for one have never liked Courtney Love, she looks and acts like a drug addled skeez.

Fair guess, that's because she is a drug addled skeez…

Can't ignore that he was depressive - whether drug induced/or not - not a good thing to be dealing with.....

• 2 weeks later...
Sad thing is that many get their inspiration from drugs/ booze. Then it's that downward spiral.

What gets me—and of course, this was an inevitable debate with a friend on 4/20—is how "glorified" (for lack of a better term) the idea seems to be, particularly with some of my former students, that EVERYONE who's ANYONE in the music industry smokes pot, or parties with a, b, c drugs and x, y, z alcohol(s?), and that's just how they get their inspiration, it's how they perform, and that's all there is to it.

It's not an issue of debating the merits or legality of alcohol or controlled substances in general (beyond the fact that I have seen lives messed up by people that couldn't keep themselves in check), it's a concern that they can be so willing to take such potentially dangerous risks because "look at Cobain! Lennon! et al!"

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard a lot about Kurt Cobain growing up, but since I wasn't around during the whole, Nirvana-hysteria period, Nirvana has always been one of those bands I've never really put time aside to listen to, despite them being such a controversial band with a dark history. They've inspired so many great bands (Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, Rise Against).