Muting to save processor resources? [SOLVED]

hookedonhydro

I read in the help section that you can mute chanells to save processing power, is there any difference if the mute is performed on the track header or the channel itself?

Does the command to (toggle) Mute all, achieve this goal, then obviously manually un-muting the channels you want to play?

To save CPU and Hard Disk streaming you need to either mute the Regions, or set your Preferences > Audio > General > Track Mute/Solo to "CPU-saving" and mute the Tracks. Muting the channel strips, or muting the tracks with Track Mute/Solo in "Fast, Remote Channel Strip" mode doesn't save CPU nor Hard Disk streaming.

Does the command to (toggle) Mute all, achieve this goal, then obviously manually un-muting the channels you want to play?

If you mean "Toggle Track Mute of All Tracks" then yes, it will achieve that goal when you've set your preferences to "CPU-saving" mode.

This must be a setting you should add to your autoload.. I changed this once before on a project and i noticed a diference in cpu usage, the problem is you have to bounce otherwise when you unmute you run the risk of that stupid error msg reminding you that you need to play the lotto more often.

Thanks David.

It's a preference, not a setting, therefore it applies to all your projects, not to a specific project. So there's no need to alter your templates.

Personally I like to keep that setting on "Fast (Remote Channel Strip" and mute the regions.

As for bouncing, I'm not sure what you mean. If you want to save CPU but keep hearing the tracks, try freezing.

• 9 years later...
To save CPU and Hard Disk streaming you need to either mute the Regions, or set your Preferences > Audio > General > Track Mute/Solo to "CPU-saving" and mute the Tracks. Muting the channel strips, or muting the tracks with Track Mute/Solo in "Fast, Remote Channel Strip" mode doesn't save CPU nor Hard Disk streaming.

Hi David! Where can I find this option in Logic 10.4? Thank you!