Odd Finder View? [SOLVED]

DiScO

Thanks all,

No, nothing like you suggest. I know the different views. Perhaps I was not ever paying attention but look at the difference between the 'In Logic Finder', and the normal finder. How is it for you?! Thanks.

folders.thumb.jpg.e372703ddf60a3da672cc183c18ce499.jpg

No—well, yes, it is the wrong choice of word. In the Mac world, the Finder is what's known as the Explorer in Windows jargon—the file management and navigation, etc.

Nothing looks out of place in your Logic Open dialogue box/window to me… If you're talking about the color scheme, then yes, the Pro Apps have always had that "muted" color palette.

No—well, yes, it is the wrong choice of word. In the Mac world, the Finder is what's known as the Explorer in Windows jargon—the file management and navigation, etc.

Nothing looks out of place in your Logic Open dialogue box/window to me… If you're talking about the color scheme, then yes, the Pro Apps have always had that "muted" color palette.

Well, that's it then! I don't like it :roll: Where's the continuity!? I'm not sure how this tweaked my interest now as I've been looking at this for quite some time :lol:

So we'll settle on the fact that in the Mac world, it is actually called a finder then :wink:

No. The correct name for that feature of many dialogs (such as the Open or Save As dialogs) is called a File Browser. It's looked like that since Logic 7 IIRC. I believe the goal was/is to create some consistency amongst Pro Apps (Final Cut, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro, Logic, etc...).

Well, to make sure we're all on the same page, the Finder is where you click around to open Logic in the first place (so, so many people think it's called the "Desktop", but that's inaccurate), the "Open Dialog" is the *window* that you're discussing.

If I had to, I'd venture a guess that they're assuming at Apple that people using their pro software are going to be active on said software frequently and for long durations, so they're minimizing contrast to reduce chance of eye strain. But again, it's just a guess.

EDIT: Ahh, David snuck in there with his superior knowledge on me. Though I believe the manual refers to it as just an "Open Dialog" still, so maybe I'll try to negotiate for half points. :P

So we'll settle on the fact that in the Mac world, it is actually called a finder then :wink:

No. The correct name for that feature of many dialogs (such as the Open or Save As dialogs) is called a File Browser. It's looked like that since Logic 7 IIRC. I believe the goal was/is to create some consistency amongst Pro Apps (Final Cut, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro, Logic, etc...).

Thanks for setting me straight on that David, I do appreciate it! I can understand the reason for consistency, but having not used the other Apps so much I guess I had no comparison. Coming to think of it, I do recall WaveBurner looking the same.... I just checked it and it does look identical. Well, there ya go. You learn something new everyday :)

If I had to, I'd venture a guess that they're assuming at Apple that people using their pro software are going to be active on said software frequently and for long durations, so they're minimizing contrast to reduce chance of eye strain. But again, it's just a guess.

Your guess is correct. That's exactly what they're doing.

Though I believe the manual refers to it as just an "Open Dialog" still, so maybe I'll try to negotiate for half points. :P

As I said, those dialogs, the "Open", the "Save As" etc.. dialogs, all contain a "File Browser", but also a Save As field, sometimes options at the bottom, etc... The "File Browser" is just the little browser that looks similar to a Finder window, below the Save As field in a "Save As" dialog, and before the options (if any).

In a Save As dialog, the File browser is hidden by default, but can be toggled with the disclosure triangle button to the right of the Save As field.

Well, to make sure we're all on the same page, the Finder is where you click around to open Logic in the first place (so, so many people think it's called the "Desktop", but that's inaccurate), the "Open Dialog" is the *window* that you're discussing.

EDIT: Ahh, David snuck in there with his superior knowledge on me. Though I believe the manual refers to it as just an "Open Dialog" still, so maybe I'll try to negotiate for half points. :P

It's still a window that you can 'find' things in so in my eyes it's a finder! Or a findow? Ah, whatever. I'm glad I sparked some interest here tonight. I see where you're coming from with the easy on the eyes thing mind

:)

It's still a window that you can 'find' things in so in my eyes it's a finder!

The whole point of having a certain terminology is to help communicating. It's important to use correct terminology if you want to understand others, and for others to understand you. Otherwise, in your eyes you could say "eat" when you want to sleep, and "sleep" when you're hungry, that would be just fine. :lol:

This became especially obvious to me when I started teaching Logic, and even more obvious when I started writing a book about Logic, a book that would be edited by a team of professional editors used to deal with the "Apple style". I don't think I knew a file browser was called a file browser before I wrote my first book.

But I know that if I was talking with my producer and told him "go ahead, in the Finder, click such and such folder", the first thing he'd do would be to switch from Logic to the Finder - which in this case is not what you'd want him to do.

So yeah, better use the correct terminology as much as you can, or at least nothing that would as confusing as using the name of another application for something that is in Logic.

It's still a window that you can 'find' things in so in my eyes it's a finder!

The whole point of having a certain terminology is to help communicating. It's important to use correct terminology if you want to understand others, and for others to understand you. Otherwise, in your eyes you could say "eat" when you want to sleep, and "sleep" when you're hungry, that would be just fine. :lol:

This became especially obvious to me when I started teaching Logic, and even more obvious when I started writing a book about Logic, a book that would be edited by a team of professional editors used to deal with the "Apple style". I don't think I knew a file browser was called a file browser before I wrote my first book.

But I know that if I was talking with my producer and told him "go ahead, in the Finder, click such and such folder", the first thing he'd do would be to switch from Logic to the Finder - which in this case is not what you'd want him to do.

So yeah, better use the correct terminology as much as you can, or at least nothing that would as confusing as using the name of another application for something that is in Logic.

That's fair enough. I'm just on a bit of a wind up tonight! You obviously have multiple people to deal with, especially when writing books. I would like to buy your book, but fear a new version is in the works! Do you have a supplier in the UK? Whilst you're on, what happened to the Logic arrange window 'snapping' to my display? I think it disappeared after 9.1.2 or something, or I could be wrong again! :?:

...using the name of another application for something that is in Logic.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Finder is just an application just like Mail or Safari or Logic Pro.

The Windows™ guys have explorer not to be mistaken for "Internet Explorer" or the bottle of Vodka. ;)

But it's not. You click on the Finder in the dock and try and cmd q on it. It will stare you in the face until you click the little red x.

But it's not. You click on the Finder in the dock and try and cmd q on it. It will stare you in the face until you click the little red x.

That's because you can't quit the Finder - which is the application you use to navigate Mac OS X. So while you're in the Finder, Command-Q is not assigned to anything. Look at your Finder menu, you'll find that the "Quit" option is missing.

You can however force quit the Finder. It will then automatically be reopened ASAP so you can continue working with Mac OS X.

Not sure what you mean about the Arrange snapping, but please do start a new thread for that new question, and we'll do our best to help you.

You can find my book in any major book retailer such as amazon.co.uk or brick-and-mortar bookstores, or even Apple stores.

Ta very much. I'll look out for it. I meant grabbing the top of the Logic arrange window and dragging it to the corner of my display, it used to lock in there and resize. Now it just goes over, like Safari for example. Not to worry, good night folks.

That's because you can't quit the Finder - which is the application you use to navigate Mac OS X. So while you're in the Finder, Command-Q is not assigned to anything. Look at your Finder menu, you'll find that the "Quit" option is missing.

You can however force quit the Finder. It will then automatically be reopened ASAP so you can continue working with Mac OS X.

So it's an application with exceptions....probably one I have never had to force quit :)

So it's an application with exceptions

It definitely has a special status, as to most people (unless you want to use a prompt), it is necessary to the use of your Mac. For example the Finder always automatically opens when you start up your Mac. Another example is that in the Finder, you can't quit the Finder without force quitting. Another example is that if the Finder crashes, it will automatically reopen. Etc etc..

That's because you can't quit the Finder

Sure you can. It's just it's not meant to be quit, and therefore doesn't have a Quit option (although some third-party utils can add a Finder quit option.

However, Mac OSX is desiged to have the Finder running - it automatically runs on boot, and if you quit the Finder through various methods, including force quitting, OSX will just run it again.

The only way to not have the finder running is to log out back to the log in screen. You can still use various running servers and remotely login to the machine.

But fundamentally, the Finder is *just* an app, albeit one that OSX automatically runs.

I'm glad you all took the time to respond folks. Back to why I posted my original pics was because I thought I had gone back in time! It just seemed odd to me that Apple applications detracted from the OSX Snow Leopard interface. Perhaps Lion will introduce something special. Until then....Over and out.

I'm glad you all took the time to respond folks. Back to why I posted my original pics was because I thought I had gone back in time! It just seemed odd to me that Apple applications detracted from the OSX Snow Leopard interface. Perhaps Lion will introduce something special. Until then....Over and out.

God, I hope not… Aqua is special enough for me now, even ((i.e. "especially")) without it's original pinstripes.