Audio recording delay

AYoo

Hi all,

First time on the forums. My name is Anthony and im having a little issue here with recording vocasl into logic express. Im using an audio technica at2020 usb mic with a native instruments audio 8 dj interface. Whenever i speak into the mic im getting about a second or a few milliseconds of delay before i hear my voice played back. This has never happened before with previous projects. I've tried messing with some of the audio settings and also with the low latency button with no luck. It was working fine about 3 months ago when i last used the mic to record vocals. Now I'm getting an irritating delay that isn't specific to one project.... its all of them!! i've tried monitoring directly from the interface but its the same. I've tried turning off software monitoring but then i don't hear anything through the monitors. Like i mentioned before... everything was working fine a few months ago with no delay whatsoever. Can someone please please please please help? Im about to tear my hair out not being able to record.

i've tried both 256 and 128 as well as other settings for the i/o buffer. and yes the plug-in delay comp is off. i don't know if i or someone else changed the settings but this seemed to happen all of a sudden through all projects. =\ i hope it wasn't because of a recent update or something.

Thanks for all the info. I don't have those specific plug-ins in the mixer but i have a whole slew of others. Maybe that's why? I haven't tried opening a new project yet with no plug ins to see if the delay still exists. Might have to try that and if it works I guess I can bounce out the current project as a wav into a new empty project to record and finish it up there. I hope it works. *fingers crossed

I tried speaking into the mic on a new project and it worked!! no delay!

.......................................... but then i tried to add the bounced project in and.............DELAY! no plug ins. just 2 audio tracks. one for mic and one for mp3 file. :( WHAT'S GOING ON?! and after i added the mp3 track i tried to close the project and open a new file.... still delay on a new project with just 1 audio track for mic ( this is after i tried adding in the mp3 previously on the previously attempted project ). and if i close logic and reopen to a new project with just an audio track... no delay... but then i try to add another audio track with the bounced mp3...... delay.... someone please help me!

is it logic??? is it my macbook??? i hope its neither.

Well i just had an mp3 bounce laying around so i decided to use that to test. But you think bouncing AIFF will solve the issue? im at work again so i might try that when i get off. not keeping any hopes up however. i think it may just be same...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

So... I've tried AIFF format with no luck. but the part that really gets to me is...... IT HAPPENS IN GARAGEBAND TOO! =( I'm thinking its my macbook then. I have used 113 GB of 249 GB on the hard drive. You guys think this may be the problem? There's 136.7 GB of space still available. Would it help if i get a sound card? :(

Well, I get this playback delay too sometimes, and what always helps (if I know it isn't a latency introducing plugin) is to restart coreaudio: Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > Devices > Coreaudio, untick Enabled, retick Enabled, click Apply, close.

I think there is a glitch in OS X (as this did never happen in Leopard OS X.5.>4). I have not rigorously tested this, but I'm pretty convinced this happens when another application uses Audio ports when Logic is also open (iTunes, Quicklook, etc). Unfortunately, this is not straightforward repeatable, often I use Quicklook and/or iTunes and it has no adverse effect on Logic latency, and sometimes it does. The rebooting coreaudio always works, but is a (minor) pain, especially if there are big sampler instruments in a project, the all have to reload, it can take 30 seconds to more than a minute before it's done, which is a lot when you are (were! :? ) "in the zone" with a project...

Your HD has enough space.

Does the delay happen if you don't use your interface and just the USB mic?

I was actually thinking about doing this on my way to work this morning! lol. might give it a shot and bypass my audio interface. Unfortunately i probably won't get to try this for another week as im in the process of moving. =\

Your HD has enough space.

Does the delay happen if you don't use your interface and just the USB mic?

I was actually thinking about doing this on my way to work this morning! lol. might give it a shot and bypass my audio interface. Unfortunately i probably won't get to try this for another week as im in the process of moving. =\

Well, I get this playback delay too sometimes, and what always helps (if I know it isn't a latency introducing plugin) is to restart coreaudio: Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > Devices > Coreaudio, untick Enabled, retick Enabled, click Apply, close.

I think there is a glitch in OS X (as this did never happen in Leopard OS X.5.>4). I have not rigorously tested this, but I'm pretty convinced this happens when another application uses Audio ports when Logic is also open (iTunes, Quicklook, etc). Unfortunately, this is not straightforward repeatable, often I use Quicklook and/or iTunes and it has no adverse effect on Logic latency, and sometimes it does. The rebooting coreaudio always works, but is a (minor) pain, especially if there are big sampler instruments in a project, the all have to reload, it can take 30 seconds to more than a minute before it's done, which is a lot when you are (were! :? ) "in the zone" with a project...

i just may have to try this as well! thanks for all the help guys. this recording latency has got me feeling helpless and frustrated!! but i won't know if all these tips will work for another week. hopefully ill be unpacked on sunday to give it a shot. *fingers crossed

• 3 months later...
RESOLVED FINALLY AFTER MONTHS!!!! sort of... what i have to do is unplug my audio interface... o.O.. i use a usb mic so maybe taking up both ports of the macbook is too much? ... it never happened before tho.... =\ anyways... glad i can get some projects rolling =). and it might even be better this way.. i can record anywhere i want in the apartment now without having to move around much stuff haha.