How to remove lead-in bar

furrytoes

In Logic, the very first bar I have has only 1 beat (it's just a 'lead-in' bar). I managed to delete the first 3 beats to get this to sound right but the notation says the time-signature is 1/4 and after that beat, starts at 4/4.

Of course, I really just want it to 'ignore' my lead-in notes, and start the whole thing on the 2nd beat - and start counting bar #1 from the 2nd beat.

If I delete the 1/4 time signature, the beat is copied over so that the entire score is 1 beat out.

Does anyone know how to delete the first bar and leave the 'pretend' bar - if I could just remember the proper musical terminology for this, I might be able to search for the answer properly ;-)

Project settings > score > numbers and names > bar numbers > bar offset.

Thanks.

I think your suggestion basically works and would work for me, if I had not deleted the first 3 beats. So I think I might have to add those 3 beats back.

To explain, I can change the Bar Offset to make the 1st bar the right one, but this will not fix the 1 bar of 1/4 I have. And if I then delete the 1/4 signature, it ruins everything, in that the Bar Offset (or Start With) setting will then not allow me to set the 1st bar to what is obviously the real 1st bar.

At this point, it will look right, except bar 1 is not right - it shows at the beginning of the song ie before my leadin notes. And it doesn't matter whether Bar Offset is -1, 0 or 1, they are all wrong - probably since my first 3 beats are missing.

Just to get this straight, your composition is in 4/4 and you have a quarter note pick up at the beginning?

Setting the time signature for the entire piece to 1/4 time is out of the question, right?

Yes, that's right.

It needs to be in 4/4, I am mainly working on it for the score to print out.

I originally recorded this piece in Notator Logic (.son) file on the AtariST - and it got the score leadin bit right - so I'm hoping I can bring this music into the 21st century!

I think your suggestion basically works and would work for me, if I had not deleted the first 3 beats. So I think I might have to add those 3 beats back.

Yes, if you want this to have a 4/4 time signature in the pickup bar then you will have to insert three beats at the top and then change the first bar to 4/4 time, which you can do in the transport.

To insert the three beats, create a three beat cycle zone in the time ruler and then:

Edit > Cut/Insert Time > Insert Silence Between Locators

Yes, if you want this to have a 4/4 time signature in the pickup bar then you will have to insert three beats at the top and then change the first bar to 4/4 time, which you can do in the transport.

To insert the three beats, create a three beat cycle zone in the time ruler and then:

Edit > Cut/Insert Time > Insert Silence Between Locators

Thank you. You're a saviour as I was struggling to insert the 3 beats back in - even though it should be obvious for someone who knows how to take them out!

I can put up with the 3 rests at the beginning when playing back - which is the only minor leftover.