Beatmapping moves midi and audio tracks?

Rydizzle

Ok so I was beatmapping a piano part in the intro of a song. First thing I did was enable smpte lock on all regions as well as checking the midi protection box in the beat mapping inspector. The intro is slower then the rest of the song so I drew in the average speed of the piano part which was around 75, the rest of the song is at 85. Ok so I finish beatmapping the intro and now notice that the rest of the projects tracks have been moved. I figure thats ok because they should still be in relation to each other as I did check the smpte lock. But not only are the tracks moved but they are out of sync with each other. And that includes both midi and audio tracks. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and could use some help. Thanks guys Edited by Rydizzle

More info: while I'm aligning bars to to the transient markers I can actually see me midi tracks adjusting, but I don't want them to because they are not even in the section I'm mapping. For right now my project is at a dead halt. Any help greatly appreciated.

More questions but first some good news. For whatever reason I was able to successfully beat map the intro without moving the relative positions between the rest of my tracks. They did all move to positions off the grid but they are all locked together so I can at least move them still. I think it was a combination of making sure I placed a node at the tempo change before I began beat mapping, and making sure that when I drug a piece of audio that the tempo track wasn't moving with it. It seemed selecting with command a in the arrange page also selects the tempo track who knew? Now I have another problem. So if you look at my screenshot the drums and bass need to come in on bar 18 which is at the new tempo. The drums work fine as I was able to drag it over to 18, but the bass track has that bit before the transient so when that overlaps into the beat mapped portion it changes the timing of that track. So I am unsure of how to start it there without it being altered. I can't just cut the region at the transient and drag it back to 18 because the original part's transient didn't happen exactly there so I am unsure of how to align it up correctly if that makes sense? I've got more problems related to this but I will take it one at a time. Thanks

screen_shot_2011_04_13_at_42356_pm_312.png.9eea47d40a50f205f04ab290511c6f25.png

the bass track has that bit before the transient so when that overlaps into the beat mapped portion it changes the timing of that track. So I am unsure of how to start it there without it being altered. I can't just cut the region at the transient and drag it back to 18 because the original part's transient didn't happen exactly there so I am unsure of how to align it up correctly if that makes sense?

Not much I'm afraid. What's "that bit"? What's "the transient"? Why would dragging an audio file into a beat mapped portion change its timing? (unless it's set to "follow tempo", it shouldn't).

If you don't know where the original "transient" was supposed to be aligned (all you say is "not exactly there"), then I'm not sure how we can tell you how to align it!

Can we get some clarifications? :D

Ok so what I meant by the bit before the transient is basically just silence. The transient I'm speaking of is the very first transient of the bass track. I am able to align the bass track to the original position is due to it's relation with the kick and snare track which originally started right on 18 1 1 1 . (Every time I move something I am selecting everything with Command a) I was just saying that if I were to cut it at the transient I wouldn't know exactly where it originally was. So i'm good on alignment. Anyways, the bass plays in time with the drums fine if I move them a bar forward (out of that beat mapped portion) but as soon as I drag them back to 18 the bass plays out of time. It seems that maybe it is "following the tempo" so is there a way to disable that? Thanks David

Ok so the follow tempo checkbox isn't even visible on the bass tracks, yet it is visible on the rest of my audio tracks (not checked though). I am not sure why that is but I assume that means that follow tempo is not engaged for those tracks. Also I made sure that flex time is off . One thing I forgot to mention is the project was originally created in Logic 8 but all the tracks now were created in 9. Any other ideas?