Any advice on "mastering" applications? (waveburne

I'm familiar with Waveburner, but I'm also familiar with the fact that one should not do "fades" etc. in Waveburner... and that sometimes WB creates an entirely un-usable CD.

So, what are you guys using instead? And why did you choose that platform?

(Wavelab? Bias? PMCD?)

I would really like to read your thoughts on these.

Also - if you ARE using Waveburner, what is your standard workflow? I ask this because it seems that doing all of the fades, lining up, spaces between tracks, flow, etc. in Logic, then moving it to waveburner seems incredibly time consuming. Am I wrong?

Looking forward to any discussion!

:D

I use Logic for mastering, Wave Burner for sequencing, spacing and adjusting fades at top and bottom of the songs.

This is actually the topic that I'd like to hear more about -- It is my understanding (and please feel free to add your experience here) that to add fades, spacing, etc. in Waveburner is not a good idea. Although the program was/is made to handle this task, often times it ends up in a bad burn or error at the processing plant.

Any experiences like that?

I use Audiofile's Wave Editor daily in my mastering business.

Ah, yes! My brother gave me Audiofile's Wave Editor for Christmas and I've used it quite a few times for...well... wave editing. It's brilliant, quick, easy, etc.... however, unless I'm just being obtuse, there isn't really a way to add space between tracks if you're compiling a list of songs for CD pressing. Right?

Say, for instance, I load in ten tracks (layers in Wave Editor) and want to adjust the time between a few tracks... I haven't found a way to do that in Wave Editor that doesn't affect all of the other tracks in the layer list. Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, if not... that really is a big problem when it comes to sequencing a CD for replication.

No problem with bad burns or errors at the plant. I find WB pretty convenient for those 3 basic tasks. I do wish that it was possible to create a less than 2 second pause. I've tried mastering in WB but it was prone to crashing with certain plugs and it was for me, unwieldy. I missed my Logic tools and navigation.

No problem with bad burns or errors at the plant. I find WB pretty convenient for those 3 basic tasks. I do wish that it was possible to create a less than 2 second pause. I've tried mastering in WB but it was prone to crashing with certain plugs and it was for me, unwieldy. I missed my Logic tools and navigation.

Excellent! That is good to know. I don't normally do mastering (not for a full-blown finished CD); but when I do, I use Logic for all the hard work (compressors, EQ's, metering, etc. etc.) but had been seriously looking into purchasing a third party program for adding spaces, fades, and sequencing. (possibly the light version of WaveLab or Peak, but now it seems that WaveBurner has it all under control)

Thanks for letting me know your experiences with WaveBurner. I do appreciate it.

Cheers!