Ultrabeat - samples inaudible when swapping zone positions

monop_oly

Importing EXS samples into Ultrabeat works properly. When I have EXS samples loaded into any of the 25 sample zones and I try to swap their positions, though, the sample zone which I attempt to "drag" onto the other subsequently triggers no more sound. The names of the samples successfully swap, and the sample zone which I attempt to "drag onto" retains its audible sample, albeit with the replaced name. This occurs both when I attempt to import EXS samples via Ultrabeat's import button/menu and when I attempt to drag an EXS instrument from the Finder directly onto Ultrabeat's Assignment section.

I'm not having this issue when I attempt to swap zone positions with Ultrabeat's default drum kit. On the other hand, with many other native Ultrabeat kits, including the African Kit, I am having this same issue. (I'm testing more as I'm typing this.) As well, I'm not having the problem with the Ultrabeat-native kits Pure Analog 01 and Pure Analog 02.

Any insights? Thanks in advance.

Not sure if I understand you 100%, but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about...

This is a bug to do with loading the sample itself. That's why you won't have a problem with the default kit - it's 100% synthesised sounds, which aren't a problem.

I have found a simple fix that works most of the time - drag the sample over twice. The second time it seems to load the sample correctly in most cases.

Hi widdershins,

Thanks for your time and attention.

This is a bug to do with loading the sample itself. That's why you won't have a problem with the default kit - it's 100% synthesised sounds, which aren't a problem.

Actually, the samples load just fine. They begin to act up when I try to adjust their orientation among the 25 sample zones in the Assignment area on the lefthand side of the Ultrabeat window.

With that said, your advice has yielded a solution that I'm settling with for the moment:

-Load sampler instruments using the import menu

-Copy/Paste samples to their desired place in the Assignment area

-If when rearranging samples' positions within the Assignment area some of them become inaudible, Copy/Paste them from the import menu again until they take.

The issue with this is that if I'm pulling samples from multiple kits, I will have to remember each of the kits and which samples I took from them, then import each kit that corresponds to the "missing" sounds and replace them. Kind of a nuisance. A text document will be of utmost importance to keep track =/ =)

Or, I could look into using a sampler in hopes that it would tidy up the process a bit. (Probably what I should be doing anyway?)

That's why you won't have a problem with the default kit - it's 100% synthesised sounds

Although our problems seem slightly different, this does seem to be an overlap. 100% synthesized sounds haven't seemed to cause this issue.

Thanks again.

When you no longer hear the sound, check to make sure the sample is still loaded? Today for the first time I swapped a couple of sounds in Ultrabeat, then I swapped them back to their original positions, and noticed that one of them no longer had its sample loaded: it said "No Sample Loaded". That was on 9.1.3.

Weird! I guess it's a bug, but I cannot replicate this right now on my MacBook running 9.0.2.

Thanks for responding, David.

Today for the first time I swapped a couple of sounds in Ultrabeat, then I swapped them back to their original positions, and noticed that one of them no longer had its sample loaded: it said "No Sample Loaded".

In effect this seems to be what is happening, although I receive no "No Sample Loaded" error. Did you receive this message as the result of trying to trigger the missing sample? Was it a typical program-specific alert message dispatched by Logic?

(As an aside: LP9 & LE9 PAP: Helpful and straightforward text so far. I hope to learn a lot from it.)

Thanks for the kind words on my book! Hope you enjoy it.

What I meant is not that I got an error message, but that when I select the sound that no longer produces any sound, and look at the sample window in Osc 2 at the bottom, instead of displaying the name of the sample that was loaded for that sound, it now says "No Sample Loaded" and the sample is no longer there: there is no waveform.

Picture1.png.77c0c429d104b98ab02faa36aef8850c.png

Sure thing, and thank you.

when I select the sound that no longer produces any sound, and look at the sample window in Osc 2 at the bottom, instead of displaying the name of the sample that was loaded for that sound, it now says "No Sample Loaded" and the sample is no longer there: there is no waveform.

Ahh... I see now. My situation is a little different, as follows:

-I have a sample loaded into both slot 01 and slot 02. For sake of discussion we'll consider these samples to be named "A" and "B", respectively.

-I click and drag sample A onto sample B, intending to swap their positions.

-The sample in slot 1 now reads B and the sample in slot 2 now reads A.

-When selecting either, both of their filenames are listed as "B.ext" (where .ext is the file extension) in the window displaying the waveform.

-The sample in slot 02 has a loaded sample, B.ext, and it can be triggered and is audible. (So the loaded sample in this slot did not change.)

-The sample in slot 01 has a loaded sample, B.ext, but there is no waveform displayed! Furthermore, it cannot be triggered audibly. What's strange is that if I go to the little menu in the sample waveform window and choose "Load Sample", then hit Cancel, it will load B.ext and it will be able to be triggered and audible. Unfortunately, this isn't the desired effect, haha.

It was probably futile for me to try to sketch that out in words. I will have to take some screenshots when I get a bit more time. It is a bummer, although I'm not too concerned about it as I don't think I'll be finding a fix anytime soon. I'm more interested in seeing the problem not persist for releases down the road, for myself and others.

You were perfectly clear, no need for a pic on that one. I hope I can find a mn to do some tests on 9.1.3 tomorrow because apparently 9.0.2 (here) doesn't behave the same.

If anyone wants to join in on this thread and do the sample swap test as described by monop_oly in the post just before this one that would be great also.

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

This is what I was tearing my hair out about in March (see post).

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=354471

It's ridiculous to have to go hunt up the original sample any time you just want to move the voice to a new position.

This worked soooo well in Logic 8 but now (in 9) it's broken and still no response from Apple. Could you use your influence?