SMF format in Logic Express 9.1.3

Lídio

How can I save in SMF format and have different instruments playing on my playback just the way I set in may sequence?

Always I try to save in SMF format all my instruments comes with a piano sound, should the things be like that?

I want to use Logic Express 9.1.3 to save files and a midi keyboard that reads SMF format to play it.

Even if I open the .mid file with Logic what I have is that piano sound playing through all the instruments, and not the instruments I set before. The same when I open the .mid file with Sibelius 6, and also the same with the midi synthesizer player.

If anyone could help me I would really be very thankful.

Best.

• 3 weeks later...

I've made two tracks, one with a guitar, and another one with a bass.

I've played in a way I could see the difference between then, and it was very clear.

In the event list I've did three messages at the beginning of each track.

I've put the numbers that correspond to these instruments in my keyboard (JUNO STAGE).

MSB, LSB and PROGRAM change. A bass in the bass track and a guitar in the guitar track.

After that I turn the channel of the guitar to number one, and the channel of the bass to number two,

All three messages was with the correspondent channel to each instrument.

After that I've followed the instructions of the Logic Express Manual about

"Saving in Standard MIDI Files format", I did everything is said there.

I've exported this file to a pen drive and put it into my keyboard.

What I've got is another thing than a piano like it was before, it's a progress, but not enough.

The guitar was correct, but both tracks was with the guitar and it doesn't appear any bass sound.

Although I put the MSB, LSB and PROGRAM change messages to both tracks in different

channels (1 and 2), and even with the correct number of the instruments of my keyboard,

what I have is just guitar and not two instruments.

If you, or someone, could help me to know what I'm doing wrong, I would be very happy.

Thanks.

I've put the numbers that correspond to these instruments in my keyboard (JUNO STAGE).MSB, LSB and PROGRAM change.

Are these three happening at the same position (i.e 1.1.1.1)? If they are, try to separate them in time...something like 1.1.1.1, 1.1.1.2, 1.1.1.3.

See if that helps?

J.

I think I've got the way.

It's quite simple. The problem that was happening was that while the three messages (MSB,LSB and PC) was in different channels in the two tracks, the notes of both tracks was in the same (channel one), so I could hear just one instrument. When I did the same experience and changed the channel of the notes in the second track (channel 2), everything was solved.

I just have a last question about this. How can I choose the channel notes and midi messages when I'm recording normally? I mean, in real time, different channels per track with no need to change the channel of all notes and midi messages in the event list.

Anyway, I would like to thank you for the attention and help, and say that you really helped me.

Good to hear you got it working!

I just have a last question about this. How can I choose the channel notes and midi messages when I'm recording normally? I mean, in real time, different channels per track with no need to change the channel of all notes and midi messages in the event list.

Normally you set the channel at the source, the MIDI keyboard.

Depending on the keyboard, changing the channel for each track on the fly can be a bit of a pain.

You could use a transformer to change the channel in real time, but doing it after recording is actually not that bad. Simply select all events in a region and drag up or down in the channel column in event list. Or perhaps use he transform window?...I feel like I'm missing something...I'm tired.

Anyway, I would like to thank you for the attention and help, and say that you really helped me.

You're welcome.

J.