FCP X ... Logic X

Is the new look of FCP X a hint how Logic 10 will look like, from grey to black? I wouldn't mind because the grey look has always the stench of OS9 and black always looks better on a glossy screen (if you don't have a light in your background)

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/12/first-screenshots-of-final-cut-pro-x/

Besides that, although Logic9 is already 64bit, is it completely clean re-written in Cocoa or is it still a hybrid?

Then there is also hope that Grand Central will finally see its full implementation in Logic together with Quicktime in 64bit (export to movie in 64bit is long overdue)

Giving the timeframe of a FCP June release and OSX Lion around the corner that could mean at least another half year before there is any Logic 10 on the horizon and I'm afraid all the current bugs (and there are plenty) will not be fixed till then.

It's interesting to see more Apple pro apps move away from that grey "pro" style interface. They certainly seem to be moving in a black direction, like it or not. Dunno whether Logic's look will be retooled again - I kinda doubt it - and yes Logic is cocoa these days, it had it's big application front end framework rewrite for Logic 8.

We will see what the rest of the apps in the Final Cut Studio suite look like - if they've all been moved to that darker interface, it could be a new shift in "corporate style" for Apple's pro apps, and apps in general. Time will tell...

I think the new FCP looked great! Awesome new stuff! The trackless magnetic timeline was definitely a highlight! It would be great to have a trackless timeline like that in Logic.

The automatic background rendering using GCD was awesome as well. Imagine never needing to freeze because Logic is using cycles to automatically render everything in the background whenever possible and just switches on demand to live mode when you start editing a track. 80-90% of the processor load for a project would vanish! If they can do it with Final Cut they should be able to do it with Logic also.

Another thing they really need to add is MIDI generating and processing plugins (almost every DAW has these and I think the AU spec theoretically supports it if only the primary AU DAW did).

The new note expressions in Cubase is very cool also and I think is very much a necessary way forward.

I hope they take a hard look at where they're currently falling short and what is necessary for the next major leap forward in the same way the Final Cut team did. Hopefully they've already done that and it comes out this summer along side the new Final Cut Studio apps...