"Learning" Transport Controls/Program Changes?

BvC

Simple question: how do I go about assigning transport controls and program changes to the MIDI-assignable buttons on my synthesizer? I fully understand Learn Mode in terms of controlling software synth parameters, but I am confused as to how I can make a button trigger record, stop, etc. Program changes are a mystery to me as well.

Thanks in advance.

Controlling the transport functions can be achieve in a couple of ways: Using the learn function for key commands (controlling key commands via MIDI)...or by using MMC Commands (if your keyboard sends those). I prefer MMC as I find them more reliable since they require no assignments, Logic understands them directly.

Program changes...you can use them in channels 2-16 for whatever you want to use them. If they come via channel 1, they're reserved for channel strip performances.

What MIDI controller do you have? Please read number 5 (or all of it, why not?) here:

READ ME before posting - Forum Guidelines

J.

Ah, I see. I thought I'd spare excess information because the vast majority of forum readers (not necessarily here but elsewhere) can't be bothered to read long posts.

I'm using a Yamaha DX-11, and Logic (8.0.0)'s little MIDI I/O-ometer is reading the message whenever I press any of the 32 preset buttons... so I believe they should be assignable. The data entry slider can be/has been used to control MIDI as well.

I also have a Novation Remote Zero MKII (which really makes me want to upgrade to Logic 9, based on the AutoMap integration).

I would like to assign the transport controls to the Novation and the program changes to any number of the preset buttons on the Yamaha. I'd also like to know how to assign transport controls to the Yamaha's preset buttons in the case that I'm using a minimized studio (like on an overnight stay where I don't want to bring the whole studio along).

For what it's worth, I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6 (MacBook White) and an M-Audio FastTrack Pro.

Thanks for your information thus far.

Ah, I see. I thought I'd spare excess information because the vast majority of forum readers (not necessarily here but elsewhere) can't be bothered to read long posts.

That's why David came up with the brilliant idea (part of the forum's guidelines) to have everybody list their gear, computer, OS, etc in their signature.

I'm using a Yamaha DX-11, and Logic (8.0.0)'s little MIDI I/O-ometer is reading the message whenever I press any of the 32 preset buttons... so I believe they should be assignable. The data entry slider can be/has been used to control MIDI as well.

Yeah, then you could assign those to something. What exactly do you see in the MIDI monitor?

I also have a Novation Remote Zero MKII (which really makes me want to upgrade to Logic 9, based on the AutoMap integration).

I would like to assign the transport controls to the Novation and the program changes to any number of the preset buttons on the Yamaha. I'd also like to know how to assign transport controls to the Yamaha's preset buttons in the case that I'm using a minimized studio (like on an overnight stay where I don't want to bring the whole studio along).

The Novation is probably better for the job since it's a proper MIDI controller.

It also sends the MMC commands I mentioned, so no assignments needed for transport control. You just make sure the Navation is sending those (check the manual) and in Logic go to Settings >Synchonization > MIDI >MIDI MAchine Control and check the Listen to MMC Input box.

And what about program changes? Do you have a specific instrument that responds to those?

J.

The Novation is probably better for the job since it's a proper MIDI controller.

It also sends the MMC commands I mentioned, so no assignments needed for transport control. You just make sure the Navation is sending those (check the manual) and in Logic go to Settings >Synchonization > MIDI >MIDI MAchine Control and check the Listen to MMC Input box.

J.

You don't have to do this if you are using Automap. It just works. ;)