Mono mp3 files (not aiff or wav) same size as the st[SOLVED]

senzasenzo

Hello,

I'm a SAE Institute student and I have an audio editing assignment which should be submitted as a mono mp3 file.

Now my problem is that if I try bouncing an mp3 either in mono or in stereo, the resulting files have the same size. This thing doesn't happen for aiff or wav so I suppose I'm bouncing it the right way.

Anyway...

1) I just click on the stereo simbol on the stereo output bus to convert it to a mono one;

2) I click on Bnce

3) I tick the mp3 option;

4) I choose the Bitrate Mono (they require 64 kbps)

5) I click on Bounce.

If I do the whole thing omitting the point 1) the size of the file is the same and even if it "sounds" mono, how can I prove that the file is actually mono and I didn't use the "gain" plugin to convert just the sound in mono?

I know that the "mono bouncing" topic has been already discussed on this forum, but I couldn't find an satisfactory answer so far. So sorry if I put an old topic on the table.

Angelo

Edited by senzasenzo

Hi, Buzwah, thank you for your reply.. I'm sorry, maybe I'm not good with english yet, but my problem has nothing to do with a phase correlator.

I'm just wondering why, if I bounce any track as a mono mp3 file and then the same track as a stereo mp3 file, the resulting size is the same for both.

If I click on "get info" on both files I can clearly see that for the mono one, the field "audio channel" has a value of 1 and for the stereo one the audio channels are 2, but why on earth their size is the same?? :) It's a very strange thing that doesn't happen with wav and aiff files: the mono file has always a halved size compared to the stereo one.. as it should be.

Thanks though.

how can I prove that the file is actually mono and I didn't use the "gain" plugin to convert just the sound in mono? Angelo

I thought this might help you determine whether your file is actually Mono or not. If it is the visual cue would be moving along the vertical line in the middle of the screen.

Yes I understand what you tried to do, but I clearly listen the difference between mono and stereo .. this is not my problem. The probem was the file format and I solved it because I realized that the supervisor at SAE can verify a format checking the number of channels with the "get info" command.

Thank you.. let's consider the topic solved... even if I still don't understand why, according to Logic, a mono file should have the same size of a stereo one.

Angelo

Now my problem is that if I try bouncing an mp3 either in mono or in stereo, the resulting files have the same size. This thing doesn't happen for aiff or wav

PCM and mp3 don't behave the same, for sure. What bit rates do you use for your mp3 mono and stereo file? Same bit rate, or double the bitrate for the stereo file?

I believe the equivalent quality to 128kbps stereo file is a 64kpbs mono file.