Stretching/Shrinking Wavefile to Beatmatch/Change BPM??

sivante

hello,

does anybody know the quickest & easiest way in Logic to slightly stretch or shrink a wavefile to increase/decrease the BPM, while still keeping the sound quality good?

I had been using Logic a while back and read that I could do this by clicking & dragging one of the corners, but it didn't work as it was supposed to.

What I'm looking to do is create DJ mixes without the need for any external DJ gear, but the only thing I'm hung up on is how to get the tracks' wave files properly adjusted so they can be beatmatched...

Any helpful ideas, hints, guidance?

Thanks much!

Hi, welcome to the forum. Without knowing which version of Logic you're using, it's impossible to answer your question. Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

There are various ways to achieve what you need but quality of result depends on the content too, ie if you're beatmatchiing gospel choir tracks vs a four on the floor beat. So describe exactly what you need to do and good answers will be forthcoming!

version is Logic Pro 9.

don't have one specific thing in mind, would like to do a variety of things, from matching up samples like you suggested to just straight beatmatching something that might be around 4-8 bpm off.

got response in another Logic forum suggesting "Flexmode" or option+drag right corner...

does anybody know the quickest & easiest way in Logic to slightly stretch or shrink a wavefile to increase/decrease the BPM, while still keeping the sound quality good?

Flex Time Editing

I had been using Logic a while back and read that I could do this by clicking & dragging one of the corners, but it didn't work as it was supposed to.

It still works the same, but you have to Option-drag the lower right corner to timestretch the audio region. Keep in mind that's destructive an requires the creation of a new audio file, while Flex is non-destructive and does not create additional files.

What I'm looking to do is create DJ mixes without the need for any external DJ gear, but the only thing I'm hung up on is how to get the tracks' wave files properly adjusted so they can be beatmatched...

There are plenty of ways to beatmatch your files, it all depends on what you want to do. When you get there, and if the options listed don't do the job the way you want it to, ask for a question relating to a specific situation and we'll try to give you the best way to do it.

Or if you fancy doing some reading in the manual, you can look for things like:

Beat Mapping

Follow Tempo

Apple Loops

Options > Audio > Detect Tempo ...

Audio > Detect Tempo

Audio > Timestretch

Time & Pitch Machine

Convert Region to New Sampler Track

Options > Tempo > ...