Side chain bug in Logic update: Resolved on 9.1.3? [SOLVED]

Hi there,

This is my first post so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong, Thx

I want to know if the Logic Pro 9.1.3 update has fixed the following silent side-chaining problem before installing it. I'm currently 9.0.0

I do a lot of side-chaining and had a bad experience back in October when i had to submit a track for label release the next day, but did a Logic 9 update (i think it was 9.0.1 or 9.1.2 i can't remember, apologies) which meant the "silent side-chaining" i was doing no longer worked.

I had duplicated the kick track, with a "pre fader" send to a bus. That bus is then muted, with the duplicated kick track also muted. Then i use a side-chaining compressor on the bass-line, and that compressor side-chain is listening to that bussed muted kick.

This technique means i could achieve that pumping bass-line without a kick being heard in sections where the drums had stopped but i wanted side-chain to continue.

This used to work perfectly under 9.0.0, but not under the update. So i had a bit of a panic after the update and luckily reverted back to 9.0.0 in time to bounce my track for a submission deadline.

I would like to update, but if anyone can give me heads up first for any bugs it would be much appreciated!

Hi there,

This is my first post so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong, Thx

I want to know if the Logic Pro 9.1.3 update has fixed the following silent side-chaining problem before installing it. I'm currently 9.0.0

You have an Intel based Mac, so update to 9.1.3. Stat. ASAP! ;)

All I'm going to tell you from here on goes for 9.1.3 only.

9.0.0 is full of issues, as you can see from the HUGE release notes of each of the six updates you've missed: 9.0.1, .0.2, .1.0, .1.1, .1.2, .1.3,:

(start from the bottom of this doc)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2565

I do a lot of side-chaining and had a bad experience back in October when i had to submit a track for label release the next day, but did a Logic 9 update (i think it was 9.0.1 or 9.1.2 i can't remember, apologies) which meant the "silent side-chaining" i was doing no longer worked.

I had duplicated the kick track, with a "pre fader" send to a bus. That bus is then muted...

Why not just assign no output to it?

...with the duplicated kick track also muted.

This is confusing, sorry. Is there a second separate track with an identical audio region on it? Or do you mean an aux Channel Strip with an arrange track?

Then i use a side-chaining compressor on the bass-line, and that compressor side-chain is listening to that bussed muted kick.

This technique means i could achieve that pumping bass-line without a kick being heard in sections where the drums had stopped but i wanted side-chain to continue.

If I understand you correctly, you mean with a "duplicated track" an aux that receives the prefader send from the actual audio track? Or did you use two actual tracks, with two separate but identical regions?

If it is the first, you have overcomplicated it. You use the silent aux as sidechain input, correct? Instead of muting that aux, you can simply assign no output to it - that way you don't have to mute it at all plus you quickly recognise it in the mixer. Small but underestimatable bonus.

I know it works, albeit from using vocoders and/or sidechained synths (a world of possibility, btw!). But the signal flow is the same, so it should work. If not, we'll find a different way of achieving the same - it is a pretty commonly used technique (though not by me :! )

This used to work perfectly under 9.0.0, but not under the update. So i had a bit of a panic after the update and luckily reverted back to 9.0.0 in time to bounce my track for a submission deadline.

I would like to update, but if anyone can give me heads up first for any bugs it would be much appreciated!

I believe the updater leaves Logic Pro 9.0.0 installed, and even renames it from Logic Pro to Logic Pro 9.0.0. I'm not completely sure though. A simple precaution you could take is to simply duplicate your LP 9.0.0 app, and rename it Logic Pro Zilch and just let it sit next to the original Logic Pro. After updating your old 9.0.0 will sit next to its grown up brother 9.1.3, fully functional and usable.

O, and keep checking Software Update after each install, you may also need some ProKit and/or ProApps updates.

BTW, in spite of my confusion you wrote a post as clear as a post should be written. Nice. Too bad I can not categorically answer your actual question. With vocoders and synths, it works in 9.1.3.

Yes, your workflow was based on a bug (or an "issue") that was fixed in 9.1.2:

When a channel strip is muted, pre-fader sends on the channel strip are now muted as expected.

See this thread:

Pre fader issue when muting

The 9.1.2 release notes were removed from apple's website (that's another story) so here they are in a post by Lagerfeldt.

J.

Yes, your workflow was based on a bug (or an "issue") that was fixed in 9.1.2:

"When a channel strip is muted, pre-fader sends on the channel strip are now muted as expected."

I did think that all the time, but was to lazy to check it. I had a hunch that he was in fact muting the sidechain this way... Thanks J.!

----

The 9.1.2 release notes were removed from apple's website (that's another story)

Which goes like...?

I did think that all the time, but was to lazy to check it. I had a hunch that he was in fact muting the sidechain this way... Thanks J.!

No problem!

The 9.1.2 release notes were removed from apple's website (that's another story)

Which goes like...?

There was something wrong in the 9.1.2 release...something related to multiple cores and/or hyper-threading...remember? There should be quite a few threads around about it. So I guess they (Apple) felt embarrassed by it and removed 9.1.2 from the release notes (and everywhere else)...as if it never happened!

J.

Which goes like...?

There was something wrong in the 9.1.2 release...something related to multiple cores and/or hyper-threading...remember? There should be quite a few threads around about it. So I guess they (Apple) felt embarrassed by it and removed 9.1.2 from the release notes (and everywhere else)...as if it never happened!

J.

If the fact an sich wasn't so trivial, it would be creepy, almost Orwellian (1984)... Big Apple is watching you... This is doubleplus ungood!

So...

Hi thanks for the advise. Sidechaining stuff i use a lot but I'm still newbie when it comes to being stuck in some bad habits, or learning a half cut way of doing something and sticking with it for ages!

Still having a few issues...

I'm having problem of 'memory getting low' error, and also 'error reading midi' pop-ups using just one multi-out battery 3 plugin in my session, with about 12 synth plugins, and 6-8 vocal tracks, even in 64bit mode

im using a range of 3rd party plugins such as sugabytes and waves and a also sonnox oxford inflater and limiter. Is this excessive?

My sessions are trying to use sugabytes Artillery 2 and Effectrix, but always seem to croak under the strain. Artillery2 seems to be the last straw for old system using Mac OS X 10.5.8 / Logic Pro 9.0.0, / 4GB RAM/ , then i got this new mac book pro and still the same issue. Can't tell much difference, it still struggles. Even when most of the other plugins are put to sleep

Any advise how to make logic 9.1.3 work under these conditions would be appreciated. I have been making music years but still struggle to understand some basics when it comes to Logic/Preferences.

ps. im not using Reason 5 Rewire under 64bit as obviously it's not possible

Cheers

I'm having problem of 'memory getting low' error, and also 'error reading midi' pop-ups using just one multi-out battery 3 plugin in my session, with about 12 synth plugins, and 6-8 vocal tracks, even in 64bit mode

im using a range of 3rd party plugins such as sugabytes and waves and a also sonnox oxford inflater and limiter. Is this excessive?

My sessions are trying to use sugabytes Artillery 2 and Effectrix, but always seem to croak under the strain. Artillery2 seems to be the last straw for old system using Mac OS X 10.5.8 / Logic Pro 9.0.0, / 4GB RAM/ , then i got this new mac book pro and still the same issue. Can't tell much difference, it still struggles. Even when most of the other plugins are put to sleep

Any advise how to make logic 9.1.3 work under these conditions would be appreciated. I have been making music years but still struggle to understand some basics when it comes to Logic/Preferences.

ps. im not using Reason 5 Rewire under 64bit as obviously it's not possible

Cheers

Copy the above text and post it in a fresh topic!

4) Post only one topic per thread

Do not ask several questions about unrelated topics in the same thread, create one thread for each topic.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=29410