Glyph drive not not showing up in manager

Okay so I just started from scratch and Reformatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and re-named the volume to "virtual Instruments" In Disk Utility. I was prompted By Os to use the drive for time machine and I chose no. I opened up Gyph Manager and behold... A blank form stared back at me. "System status No glyph RAID arrays found! Ack. Why? I know I can still go ahead and start installing my instruments and It will function properly but it bothers me that I'll not be able to take full advantage of the manager software. There's no reason for this. I also shot off a detailed e-mail off to glyph but I don't expect to hear back from them until at least tommorow. ~Sigh~

Glyph Portagig 62 connected via firewire 800, also plugged in with my splendid DC 12v wall wart. The blue LED on the unit is indeed lit up. Sorry I'm gonna update my signature right now. I was gonna update it as soon as my new rig/musical weapon was fully operational but I guess with all this excitement I should do it now.

Now this is very interesting, I decided to ignore this issue for the remainder of the evening and so I went ahead and installed omnisphere on the glyph drive. After the lengthy install I had to give up my FW800 port to plug in my interface... now this time I attached the drive via usb 2.0 and "ta-da" It is finally recognized by glyph manager! Awesome. So I decided to shut everything down and hook the drive up with FW800 again, and I am shocked to report that my drive's status/health is unable to be viewed or properly recognized by Glyph Manager when hooked up with FW800! I will be phoning them tomorrow with these concerns/findings and I will also report back to this thread. Oh... and upon launching Logic for the first time after my omnisphere installation I noticed that It Did Not scan for new audio units and There is no spectrasonics found under AU Instruments on software instrument tracks! I am new to using external storage in my project studio setup but I really don't know where I went wrong here. All I did is I changed the install location from my system drive to the Glyph Drive and proceeded to do that for all 6 discs. :shock:

1336387885_HealthyDrive.png.8139e9746a5f3f7807c62dfcef14b58a.png

nope running logic in 32 bit. I will be doing my sessions in 64 bit once I get everything installed properly. But yeah I think my problem with the omnisphere install was that If I remember correctly from my previous install on my old computer is that certain files (other than samples) need to be on the system drive but yeah this thread is going way off topic. I'm ready to let it die now but I'm shocked to find that Glyph manager only detects the drive when hooked up via usb. Very odd.

triplets

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:02 pm Post subject:

Can you check with another computer, to rule out that it's your firewire bus?

No this is my only computer

EricBradley

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 pm Post subject:

I see that you are using the latest MacBook Pro.

This computer boots into a 64-bit kernel by default.

Try powering on the computer wile pressing 3 and 2 to get it to boot into the 32-bit kernel?

Thanks for that info, I tried that out and launched logic. Omnisphere still does not appear under Audio units. However I came across this message on the Spectrasonics website

So I have serious problems here... I followed those directions and still nothing. This Whole external drive thing is being a huge unpleasant experience. Glyphtech haven't even bothered to e-mai lme back yet. I'm posting here, troubleshooting. Everything that could possibly go wrong is. I decided to take a break from getting omnisphere to work by trying to install my smallest play library. So i tried installing "Voices of Passion" and this is the message I got (check next post)

these installation issues along with my drive not being recognized in the manager (when hooked up with firewire) is enough to drive a man mad

221333412_OmnisphereSecondaryDriveInstallIssue.png.e27540f71a975d2a0a0ffdf608408c62.png

Try powering on the computer wile pressing 3 and 2 to get it to boot into the 32-bit kernel?

Thanks for that info, I tried that out and launched logic. Omnisphere still does not appear under Audio units. However I came across this message on the Spectrasonics website

Hi there again.

Just to clarify:

The information about the kernel had nothing to do with your Omnisphere problem.

What it can do is help you connect to the drive via firewire depending on which driver your enclosure supports.

Very cryptic, yes... :twisted:

So install it on your startup drive. No choice. Not related to your FW issue, either. You should really try to connect6 anything else that has proven to work to the FW port, just to rule out that the port is defective. Also, are you positive you've got the correct and unbroken FW cable?

oh yah and what else. Besides the e-mails that I shot off to Glyph tech support as well as the e-mail that I sent to head of glyph tech support yesterday I also registered my drive on their website today. I've spent so much time on the internet and my computer trying to sort out this disaster.

Eriksimon

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:19 pm Post subject:

If you stop calling it a disaster, you may notice the deal is not really THAT big. A Tsunami with thousands killed, that's a disaster. This is merely annoying.

Go and do something else for a while, too much impatience clogs the heart, eventually. Seriously. It isn't worth it.

You are absolutely right. I'll quit being so dramatic I really appreciate you all answering to my posts

EricBradley

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:08 pm Post subject:

Staleyolk wrote:

EricBradley wrote:

Hi there again.

Just to clarify:

The information about the kernel had nothing to do with your Omnisphere problem.

What it can do is help you connect to the drive via firewire depending on which driver your enclosure supports.

Alright we have some success here! 1 step in the right direction. I have my Os booted as a 32-bit kernel and my drive hooked up via FW800. Glyph Manager appears 100% as it should :D Thankyou EricBradley.

I've also filled out a form with Eastwest/Quantum leap at this point about my Voices Of Passion headache. Any Play users with external drives here? (Is the sky blue?) lol I know your here somewhere please don't be shy. Is there certain files(other than the samples) that need to be on the system drive? Any other advice or experience

-Matthew

Eriksimon

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:19 pm Post subject:

If you stop calling it a disaster, you may notice the deal is not really THAT big. A Tsunami with thousands killed, that's a disaster. This is merely annoying.

Go and do something else for a while, too much impatience clogs the heart, eventually. Seriously. It isn't worth it.

You are absolutely right. I'll quit being so dramatic I really appreciate you all answering to my posts

EricBradley

Staleyolk wrote:

EricBradley wrote:

Hi there again.

Just to clarify:

Alright we have some success here! 1 step in the right direction. I have my Os booted as a 32-bit kernel and my drive hooked up via FW800. Glyph Manager appears 100% as it should :D Thankyou EricBradley.

I've also filled out a form with Eastwest/Quantum leap at this point about my Voices Of Passion headache. Any Play users with external drives here? (Is the sky blue?) lol I know your here somewhere please don't be shy. Is there certain files(other than the samples) that need to be on the system drive? Any other advice or experience

-Matthew

EricBradley

Staleyolk wrote:

EricBradley wrote:

Hi there again.

Just to clarify:

Ok. So it worked!

Now the only problem is that your computer will default to the 64-bit kernel every time you reboot.

So the solution is this:

Launch the terminal and type:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

This will make your computer boot into 32-bit kernel every time.

(If you for some reason want to go back to the original setting you'll have to type this:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

)

EricBradley

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:51 pm Post subject:

Ok. So it worked!

Now the only problem is that your computer will default to the 64-bit kernel every time you reboot.

So the solution is this:

Launch the terminal and type:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

This will make your computer boot into 32-bit kernel every time.

Just did this command in the terminal and everything worked as it should. More good news as well Omnisphere is working and running as it should. I now have omnisphere streaming from my external drive into my logic session. :D Now I just gotta figure out what Play's problem is with my drive?