Getting new MacBook Pro. Help with clean install.

Noelb

As the title says, I expect to get my new Macbook Pro in a few days. I want to install things clean right from the start. Pease help me with the following questions:

- I already have Logic 9 installed on my old Macbook (now my wife's). How do I install Logic fresh on the new machine (and I don't really mind if I need to remove from the old computer)?

- running in 64 bit seems to be the best way to go. Is there anything I need to do at installation time for this? If not then what do I need to do?

- I have (NI) Komplete 6. Anything I'll need to do to ensure it runs in 64 both stand-alone and especially in Logic?

- I have a MOTU 828mk3. Apparently it has 64 bit drivers. Anything I need to do here?

Thanks!

- I already have Logic 9 installed on my old Macbook (now my wife's). How do I install Logic fresh on the new machine (and I don't really mind if I need to remove from the old computer)?

The same way you did the first time. Officially and to the letter of the ULA (that thing you click 'agree' to at the start of most installations, the User License Agreement) you should uninstall Logic from the other laptop, as the ULA states you may install it on one desktop and one laptop that you own, but off the record: if it is not used by your wife, leave it, maybe to have a backup emergency Logic.

If she does use it, the restriction is that you can't run both installs simultaneously IF both laptops are connected to a network (that includes plain internet).

And as for the ULA: I don't think they will sue you for designating one laptop as a desktop, but to the letter of the law, they could. Just an overcautious disclaimer on my part.

I would leave it installed. I would uninstall only to regain disk space or when selling it (the Macbook or Logic) on.

running in 64 bit seems to be the best way to go.

Why do you think that?

Is there anything I need to do at installation time for this? If not then what do I need to do?

No. After installation, go to the Applications folder, select Logic and hit cmd-I. In the window that appears uncheck Open in 32 bit mode

I have (NI) Komplete 6. Anything I'll need to do to ensure it runs in 64 both stand-alone and especially in Logic?

K6 is fully 32 bit still, I believe. Those will run via the 32 bit audio unit bridge, which is a bit of nuisance still. Why do you want to run 64 bits? Do you have memory intensive projects and/or more than 4 GB RAM? Those are the only good reasons to go 64 bit. Otherwise, stick to 32 bits Logic. It's more stable with 32 bit 3rd party plugins. In other respects there's no qualitative difference between the two modi.

I have a MOTU 828mk3. Apparently it has 64 bit drivers. Anything I need to do here?

Install 'm. :P

Thanks, that's a very helpful (and quick) reply!

To answer your question about 64 bit, I figured that the ability to access more than 4 Gig of RAM would be very useful. So, did I just blow 200$ on that memory upgrade for nothing?

PS: I hope I'm not about to start a 32 bit vs 64 bit debate here...