What makes a good beat?

Yolanda Charles has got da rhythm too 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9TEBiSgyvY&feature=related

I nearly wet my pants when she played that triplet fill around 1'33" :lol:

....I don't know any music theory and have no idea what a triplet is unless it's natal, but what I do know is that Beer Moth's sis-in-law makes me move and wanna groove - She lays down a good beat :D

[And yes, she is a bit drool worthy as well]

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/RedRobin_05/RED%20INK/FineFemaleApproved_600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

One fine summer morning I was in the back yard rehearsing a bunch of Apple Loops. I listened for style and production technique. Serious, studious, but enjoying the moment.

My next door neighbour came running over with her little boy and a couple of diapers and plunked him down beside me. She said "you remember how to use these?" (the diapers) and then sauntered off to enjoy stolen moments in the garden - without acknowledging my grumbling...:)

So the two of us started hangin' out and he heard the loop that was playing. He couldn't walk yet but he lifted his arms to let me know he wanted me to stand him up. You know, he grabs my two index fingers and he's up.

And then he started dancing. Well bouncing in time actually.... big smile. Totally diggin' it. Uncensored enjoyment. Mom's intuitions lit up, and she came around the corner of the house in time to see her little guy dancing.

Same beat. Two different perspectives. One of them strong enough that someone else picked up on the "vibe".

The facts and elements are important..... And Audience is a part of what "makes a good beat". Some of this stuff... I can't brain it out. It is intuition and simply seeing/knowing that it will work.

One fine summer morning I was in the back yard rehearsing a bunch of Apple Loops. I listened for style and production technique. Serious, studious, but enjoying the moment.

My next door neighbour came running over with her little boy and a couple of diapers and plunked him down beside me. She said "you remember how to use these?" (the diapers) and then sauntered off to enjoy stolen moments in the garden - without acknowledging my grumbling...:)

So the two of us started hangin' out and he heard the loop that was playing. He couldn't walk yet but he lifted his arms to let me know he wanted me to stand him up. You know, he grabs my two index fingers and he's up.

And then he started dancing. Well bouncing in time actually.... big smile. Totally diggin' it. Uncensored enjoyment. Mom's intuitions lit up, and she came around the corner of the house in time to see her little guy dancing.

Same beat. Two different perspectives. One of them strong enough that someone else picked up on the "vibe".

The facts and elements are important..... And Audience is a part of what "makes a good beat". Some of this stuff... I can't brain it out. It is intuition and simply seeing/knowing that it will work.

Rarely was my avatar a more accurate reflection of my response to a post.

Lovely scene you painted. Also a covert lesson on the prematurity of grumbling... ;)

regards, Erik.