Controller Assignments IAC TIP - Update 1

Regarding the Controller Assignments FAQ losing issue caused by the Physical Input floating devices I'd like to post a workaround as a new topic (though I have posted that before randomly as replies to other topics). The other reason is that I just made some updates adding two new helper tools in the Environment etc. Hope the workaround will be useful for further FAQ regarding the issue...

Controller Assignments IAC TIP (Step by Step)

Customization and Saving the Template

1. Enable at least one IAC Bus in the Mac AMS dialog.

2. Download the TIP template from the Attachment below.

3. Cut the "Sum" cable from the Physical Input (see the image below) and cable the IAC (Bus1) port to the "Input View" monitor.

4. Cable all other ports to the "Sum All Ports" Monitor object.

5. Check if the Instrument object labeled as "IAC Port ch.All" is assigned to IAC port bus 1.

6. Save the new customized setup as a new Logic template song.

Controller Assignments (CA) learning via IAC

(Follow the steps shown in red digits in the image below).

1. Switch ON the "Learn Button" in the "Virtual Fader" tool.

2. Tweak the External Controller fader, knob or button to learn the "Virtual Fader" tool. After learning the "learn" button will switch OFF automatically so the Channel#, CC# and the Value parameters of the "Virtual Fader" will show the external message parameters inc. Channel#, CC# number and the Value.

3. Press (Command+K) to open the Logic CA expert dialog and switch ON the "Learn Mode" button.

4. Tweak any parameter in Logic you want to learn.

5. Tweak the Value fader in the "Virtual Fader" macro tool to learn the CA via IAC.

6. Switch OFF the "Learn Mode" in the CA dialog (if you plan to learn more assignments and repeat steps 1-6 etc). Or just close the CA dialog if you do not plan to learn more assignments.

Note: If you are familiar with your external control message (Ch# & CC#) you plan to learn in the CA, you can miss the "pre-learning" steps 1 & 2 and set the Ch# & CC# manually in the "Virtual Fader" appropriate boxes.

The method must solve the "Input Floating Ports" problem cause all CA assignments will be learned from the IAC port which is constant (non-floating until you decide to switch it OFF in the Mac AMS).

The other good side is if you decide to move your Logic Preference file (i.e CA) to another machine - all assignments must work this way (I did not try yet but in theory it must work).

Another advantage is that you can patch lots of interesting "Transformer Gears" between the "Sum All Ports" Monitor and the Instrument IAC port object. In other words you can use the Logic Environment as an advanced "MIDI JUNCTION" engine serving its midi processing to other apps, CA etc...

CC# Assignments Mapper Tool

I have developed this tool long time ago for other advance Environment purposes. It offers sixteen CC# Assignment mappers (ch.1-16) where each channel mapper supports 128 CC# learn positions. As a whole 2048 assignments.

Example: It can be used as an "Advanced CC# Filter" for filtering harmful messages which affect the Logic channel strip like: CC3(Solo), CC7(level), CC9(Mute), CC10(Pan), CCs 28-35 (Sends)... In this scenario you have to learn the harmful CC#s, switch OFF the "Thru Learned" button and switch ON the "Thru Other" button which will pass all other events and filter the learned CC#s.

I added this tool in the IAC CA setup cause in some extra cases you may need to use the CA "learned" CC#s. In the Normal scenario after CA learning the Logic Physical Input filters the CA used CC# messages.

Note: The tool is "Inactive" in the default template provided in the attachment below (both Thru buttons are OFF by default)! Active the "Thru Learned" button in case you need to use the CA learned messages in Logic!

Elements Description

1. "Learn CC#" green box. Switch it to ON to capture any CC# & Midi Channel# into the Maps (memory). After learning, it auto-switches OFF!

Note: In this IAC setup I have programed this box to auto enable when you switch ON the "Learn" button in the Virtual Fader tool!

2. "Unlearn CC#" button. Use it if you want to unlearn a single CC number (inc its Ch#.).

3. "Unlearn All" button. Use it in case you want to reset all 16 mappers (you delete all CC# & Ch# assignments). This button sends a massive reset of 2048 messages and may take up to 1-4sec processing time. After the reseting process end the red box labeled as "Assign.Monitor" auto-switches to "Non-Assigments".

4. "Assign.Monitor" box. If there are no assignments or after reseting (see above) it shows "Non-Assignments". If there are any assignments it shows "Assign ON".

5. "Thru Learned" button. Enable it if you want to pass thru the "Learned" assignments. (Useful in scenarios like this IAC tip).

6. "Thru Other" button. Enable it if you want to pass/thru the other events. Under "Other" midi events I mean Note, Program, Pitch Bend etc plus Non-Learned CC#s! You can use the tool as an "Advanced CC# Filter" as was mentioned above (in this scenario the "Thru Learned" button must be OFF)!

Note: The attachment template (bellow) offers a stand alone Environment layer with both macro tools so you can easily import this layer into any project!

A.G

http://audiogrocery.com/support/images/iac_ca_tip_tools.png

iac_assign_tools1_a.g.zip

Thanks jordito. I think you have accented at that many times, so I'm already familiar with that link! As you see we offer quite different workarounds - that's the main forum purpose! If you have developed your own please posted it, I'll be happy to have one more tip...

BTW. Ohh, I forgot that you are used to give recommends to the people not to use the Transform Window and the Environment one ... (Apple will be happy to engage such developers in the new department "Apple Application Optimizers". :)

A.G

Ohh, I forgot that you are used to give recommends to the people not to use the Transform Window and the Environment one

Scandor, you misunderstood what Jordito was saying. Jordito has guided many of our members toward environment solutions, including the Transform window. He's simply pointing out that sometimes there are much easier solutions, and in those cases we prefer to guide members toward the easiest solution.

and in those cases we prefer to guide members toward the easiest solution.

I did not misunderstand Jordito. My BTW was just a joke towards some of his earlier easiest solutions and anti - Transform & Enviro recommendations. I do not think that to select 16 midi tracks and look for the Program messages and delete them in the Event list is "easiest solution" when we can do that in one step using the Transform template I offered in (scenario one) there. To my opinion is that here (forums) is the right place we have to encourage he people to use these Logic Editors and help them to better understand their powerful features and not to re-direct them to other workarounds...

I still think that his input (showing third party methods) regarding this IAC tip is not related to the original topic. The tip was moved in the "Environments & Templates" and it is good if we comment that tip. Same with the Eric's one (in his topic tip) etc. Posting crossing recommendations and links between the tip threads causes "mess-around" only and it will be difficult for the users to follow the main topic idea. Hope see what I mean ?

Regards,

A.G

I do not think that to select 16 midi tracks and look for the Program messages and delete them in the Event list is "easiest solution" when we can do that in one step using the Transform template I offered in (scenario one) there.

But the guy never mentioned "16 midi tracks":

Hi Guys,

When i import midi out of a pack, attach a sound from an AU instrument,

It keeps reverting back to a specific sound on the instrument,

Really trying to clean up the midi so it works with anything but that one sound, ??

Any suggestions,

:cry: :cry:

But I do agree, your method with the transform window (the first one you posted) is the best for a multiple-file....scenario :wink:

I guess we'll never know how many files...the guy probably freaked out never to return :lol:

J.

Would this solution posted here also bear a solution to my issue?

Definitely!

As I announced the IAC tip allows you to use "Pre Midi Processing" before the CA assignments. That's the main idea ! You can use same CA assignments with many controllers, you can transform any CC# source to another using some transformers between the Physical Input and the IAC Instrument (Port) etc.

A.G

I guess we'll never know how many files...the guy probably freaked out never to return

It is so clear - when some one says that has imported a midi file and have some CC7/10 or Program change issues that's means it is some SMF or some midi file which is originally programmed for hardware midi device or software devices and DAWs which do not have such problems like Logic. In this scenario we must expect multiple midi Ch/tracks CC or PC programing.

A.G

In this case, Jordito's link is perfectly pertinent.

As I have already mentioned it will be a good idea to post only comments or questions for a given Tip topic. Each Tip offers an unique workaround so any additional link(s) which point some similar tips just "hi-jack" the main topic/idea and may cause mess in the topic order. It is just a preposition !

On the contrary. If there is any question posted in the forum which is related to a few Tip(s) officially announced here, then it is a good idea to point any of these Tip links according to your preference (here I'm 100% agree).

Finally Gentleman!

My ask is, if you are agree to that - I offer all of these "additional/offline" comments to be moderated (deleted) unless the Burntphoenix question which seems to be actual. The idea is to clean up the original topic of third party comments and make it easy to understand for the others! If you are agree:

1. I say Yes ?

Thanks in advance,

A.G

Finally Gentleman!

My ask is, if you are agree to that - I offer all of these "additional/offline" comments to be moderated (deleted) unless the Burntphoenix question which seems to be actual. The idea is to clean up the original topic of third party comments and make it easy to understand for the others! If you are agree:

1. I say Yes ?

.. And we say no. Look at it this way. If someone is looking for the solution, the more links to alternate solutions in that thread the better. Because one of them may be just what that someone needs. I find answers to things this way all the time. In fact, we often encourage members to post alternative methods to existing Tips or Templates forum posts.

As it is, the only off-topic posts in this thread are these, regarding what is an appropriate to post in this topic. In the future, please use the Lounge forum to ask these questions and just link to the thread in question. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I was directed here after posting my problem: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=377520#377520

Before I attempt to make sense and follow the directions in this post, I gotta ask, will this solve my problem? The problem where Logic Midi Assignments (specifically the "Midi Input" dropdown menu) forgets that all my custom assignments should be "From MaxMSP 1" and not "Any"...

Thanks for any help. I know nothing about the Environment or how MIDI communication & control works internally. If this tip leads to a solution I am sooo happy.

• 4 months later...

I have 3 MIDI controllers (SoftStep pedal, Korg Nanokontrol, and Alesis Trigger IO) I use to control Logic functions, faders, and plug-ins during live performance. Every now and then the MIDI device assignments get messed up or reordered when I boot up at a gig. I have to go in and reassign the controllers by using the MIDI Input drop-down menu in the Controller Assignment window.

In this thread, there is much discussion (and consequent disagreement) about a preferred and recommended workaround and solution for this seemingly common problem.

Moderators (or anyone), can you recommend a practical, straightforward, and reliable fix?

• 4 weeks later...
I have 3 MIDI controllers (SoftStep pedal, Korg Nanokontrol, and Alesis Trigger IO) I use to control Logic functions, faders, and plug-ins during live performance. Every now and then the MIDI device assignments get messed up or reordered when I boot up at a gig. I have to go in and reassign the controllers by using the MIDI Input drop-down menu in the Controller Assignment window.

In this thread, there is much discussion (and consequent disagreement) about a preferred and recommended workaround and solution for this seemingly common problem.

Moderators (or anyone), can you recommend a practical, straightforward, and reliable fix?

Before you start Logic make sure that all midi devices are turned on. If one is missing or If one midi device disconnects while Logic is open all assignments for this device are gone. The assignments in logic are very sensitive. The easiest solution is to back up the "Mac Hd/users/You/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs" file after you made your controller assignments and quitted Logic. I do it with a simple zip. (right click --> compress).

If your assignments are gone again, quit Logic, trash the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file, unzip your back up and restart logic.

If you like to avoid this procedure and if you don't want to care about what's connected or not, you have to make your controller assignments through an IAC BUS. ( create them in the Audio Midi Setup of the OS X utilities).

Your controller--> IAC-->Logic.

IAC Busses are virtual midi devices and part of OS X that never disconnect or disappear.

For this task Scandors "Extrenal Controller Emulator" is very usefull.

• 8 months later...

Im aware this is an old post........but

I need help with the IAC tip, its not working for me.

Logic notes i have learned the second learning, (logic parameter to IAC virtual fader) but when im finished

my controller does nothing, i have channel signal in both my enviro monitors, thats all.

Is this post still alive.

Been awhile think logic would have fixed this fecking issue.

peas