Using MIDI with Markers

tsunchoo

• 2 weeks later...

fader8, I discovered a weird thing when trying out your template... I was too lazy to go into my master keyboard's edit facilities and transpose it down far enough to access the notes in the "-2" octave range, so instead I added a transformer between the phys.input and the seq.input and programmed it to drop the keyboard down two octaves. When I played C0, Logic converted it to C-2, as seen in Logic's transport. Expected behavior, great, fantastic. But the touch track wasn't responding at all. So I opened up the touch tracks object to see what note it was registering and sure enough, it was responding to C0 (the source note), not C-2 (the transformed note). Hmmm...

Then I tried something else... I took the transformer out of the picture and transposed the Thru instrument to -24. Nope, that didn't do it either. Playing C0 resulted in C0 in the transport and the touch tracks display.

Finally, I broke down and hit a few buttons on my controller to transpose it two octaves. Ta da, success.

So it would seem that when it comes to touch tracks, the MIDI note number is derived from the source of the MIDI data and it routed to a touch track object behind the scenes, bypassing any environment processes that may be in play between the phys.input and the seq.input.

So it would seem that when it comes to touch tracks, the MIDI note number is derived from the source of the MIDI data and it routed to a touch track object behind the scenes, bypassing any environment processes that may be in play between the phys.input and the seq.input.

Yeah, I noticed that too. That MIDI gets hijacked like controller assignments, into that cable-less layer of the environment.

so instead I added a transformer between the phys.input and the seq.input and programmed it to drop the keyboard down two octaves.

To get it to work out of the TT track selection you need to patch a direct cable to the TT object.

Example: If you have patched a Transformer between the Physical Input and the Input View Monitor and want to set that transformer to transpose the Note pitch to trigger the TT try next... Set the transformer template to "Condition Splitter true Top cable" and cable the Top transformer cable to the TT and the bottom to the Sequencer. Set the Transformer 2nd/Pitch operation to "Use Map", hit "Initialize" and assign the map to the keyswitching note pitches you want to trigger the TT. In other words you hi-jack the keyswitching Notes directly to the TT and in the same time you will have Environment processing ( the transformer will transpose the pitches according to your Map settings). Another easy scenario out of "Use Map" is to use "Inside" pitch condition of the 1st transformer and patch another transformer on the TT path and set it to Sub/Add pitch operation. I'm away of my Logic and can not provide any images, but it must work this way according to my long time experience...

A.G

so instead I added a transformer between the phys.input and the seq.input and programmed it to drop the keyboard down two octaves.

To get it to work out of the TT track selection you need to patch a direct cable to the TT object.

Example: If you have patched a Transformer between the Physical Input and the Input View Monitor and want to set that transformer to transpose the Note pitch to trigger the TT try next... Set the transformer template to "Condition Splitter true Top cable" and cable the Top transformer cable to the TT and the bottom to the Sequencer. Set the Transformer 2nd/Pitch operation to "Use Map", hit "Initialize" and assign the map to the keyswitching note pitches you want to trigger the TT. In other words you hi-jack the keyswitching Notes directly to the TT and in the same time you will have Environment processing ( the transformer will transpose the pitches according to your Map settings). Another easy scenario out of "Use Map" is to use "Inside" pitch condition of the 1st transformer and patch another transformer on the TT path and set it to Sub/Add pitch operation. I'm away of my Logic and can not provide any images, but it must work this way according to my long time experience...

A.G

"Indeed!" on all counts! :)

• 7 years later...

sorry to revive this thread, but how exactly did you do this? I got it to work, but I would like to implement in my own projects. Thanks!

I was just messing with this the other day! Try this project out.

You need to have the Touch Tracks track selected, then:

C-2 goes to marker 1

D-2 goes to marker 2

E-2 goes to marker 3

F-2 goes to marker 4

It's really easy to set this up.